How to - IAC Delete on stock EM

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

smh0101
Fifth Gear

How to - IAC Delete on stock EM

Post by smh0101 »

So before I start I know a lot here are going to be all tweaked over some reason or another... And here are my reasons for doing this.

1) I discovered that the ej20g IAC valve and top thingy (motor?) are different from the Legacy Turbo one. Yes, one could possibly swap it to the Legacy Turbo one, but I've always had problems with the motors going bad... So I decided against that.

2) The 20gs IAC Valves motor basically went out and wouldnt adjust at all (it was stuck at 3500 rpm ish) and I didnt want to reuse my ej22t one.

Basically what I have done is bypassed the stock engines Idle Air Control. I got the idea from how Andy and Daves car works with the standalone. And they run by adjusting the idle screw, and work just fine, no they dont like to run totally smoothly until warmed up, no the car wont appreciate really cold weather, but I basically got sick of dealing with the constant headaches of swapping the IAC motors.

I figured that the IAC doesnt play an important role in fuel management at idle because the ecu is controlling fuel based off of the MAF and o2 sensor readings. Fuel Trims are unchanged since removing the IAC.

I realized the IAC valve is basically a 2nd throttle body like entity that is electonically controlled by the ECU, so why not trick the ECU into thinking it has control and just manually adjust the idle one the throttle body? Thats what I did.

What I did was...

(With the car fully warmed up so you can acurately adjust the idle)

1) Adjust the idle screw up 3/4 of a turn.

2) Remove the IAC motor (two screws on top of the IAC) However leave the IAC motor plugged in but move it to an inconspicuous place where nothing will happen to it. This makes the ECU not throw a code and think it still has control.

3) Close the Valve turn it all the way to the left and this will close the valve, what I did as a temporary thing to make sure this would work was put a dab of super glue on it to hold it shut before I removed everything.

4) Start the car, its best to have the car fully warmed up, that way you know what the idle will be at fully warmed up, instead of cold start.

5) Adjust the idle using the idle screw to the desired rpms.

Words of Caution...

Doing this makes cold start idles rough, mine idles at about 6-700 rpm when cold. However by the time I get to the end of my street it starts to idle better, by a 1/4 mile from my house its all normal and idles at 900 rpm like it should.

Doing this also makes the car very prone to a horrible idle if there are any vacuum leaks. Why? Because the car cant adjust the IAC to compensate.

And I dont know how this will do in very cold weather, I'm sure it will start like shit in very cold weather, just like a car with a standalone without IAC.

With all that said... I actually really like not having the IAC, because of all the troubles I've had with it, and it idles phenomenally when warmed up, and there arent any more probs at all, the only cost being a little rough cold start (not that the car doesnt want to start, it just idles low).

So yea, just wanted to share the little mod to fix my ever persistent IAC woes
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

frees up engine bay a bit to, making it easier to work on.
i like it
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

nice spence
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You've essentially given your engine an extremely narrow window in which it will idle. You will have issues, especially in the winter and with any elevation changes.

But hey....it's your car :) I'd just caution others on doing this...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Legacy777 wrote:You've essentially given your engine an extremely narrow window in which it will idle. You will have issues, especially in the winter and with any elevation changes.

But hey....it's your car :) I'd just caution others on doing this...
Hmm. interesting.

Well I'll have to see what the long term effects will end up being, because I've only had the car running this way for about a week.
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My suggestion would be to run two new dedicated wires from the ECU pins to the IAC valve motor. That will eliminate any wiring issues. From there, I'd get a good motor and swap it over.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, you'll spend less money and have less headaches if you just address the issue properly. Do what Josh suggested and go from there.

That's not to say that your idea isn't creative and won't work, because obviously it does! But as Josh said, you'll run into problems in different weather conditions and altitudes.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Thing is, the legacy turbo stuff is different than the 20g stuff.

Idk. If it ends up being a bad thing I'll do that. But I want to give this a try since I'll eventually be going standalone anyways and they run it the way I have mine right now.
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

smh0101 wrote:Thing is, the legacy turbo stuff is different than the 20g stuff.
Not significantly...

I put a 20g in a 92 SS once and the IAC worked totally fine off the 2.2 ecu
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

My IAC is not being used because the Autronic ECU model I am using is controling boost, not IAC, can't do both. My car idles perfectly. Starting is harder when cold, especially in the winter, not so bad right now. I installed a Subaru engine block heater, about $27. Plug it in for a few hours and the car fires right up. For my particular situation, circumstances, lifestyle, etc., it is staisfactory for me. On the ej20k mainfold I will be using, I actually cut off a part of the IAC mounting foundation and have blanked off the hole where the valve goes.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

smh0101 wrote:Thing is, the legacy turbo stuff is different than the 20g stuff.

Idk. If it ends up being a bad thing I'll do that. But I want to give this a try since I'll eventually be going standalone anyways and they run it the way I have mine right now.
Is the top electrical piece different? I don't see why you couldn't swap that over.

As for the standalone....depends on what standalone you go with.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

impreza_GC8
First Gear

Re: How to - IAC Delete on stock EM

Post by impreza_GC8 »

I just wanted to dig this up and say that the IAC on my car hasn't had coolant lines hooked up to it for several years now which is effectively how the sensor knows what temp the motor is and therefore how to make it idle. It runs great in freezing weather and hot weather, no big deal.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

im alittle curious about the 20g iac on a turbo legacy ecu. is the 20h iac the same as the 20g? im using the 20h iac on my car and am having no problems but want to know of issues in detail.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

My car runs with an EJ22T ECU and has an EJ20G intake manifold and IACV.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

impreza_GC8 wrote:I just wanted to dig this up and say that the IAC on my car hasn't had coolant lines hooked up to it for several years now which is effectively how the sensor knows what temp the motor is and therefore how to make it idle. It runs great in freezing weather and hot weather, no big deal.
Not to start an argument or anything but the coolant lines running through the IAC and TB are there to help with throttle plate icing, and since the IAC is controled by the ECU and the ECU gets the engine coolant temp from the temp sensor I think thats more why you or anyone else (including myself) don't have problems with disconnecting the coolant lines from the IAC/TB
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch