Adjusting idle on a '91 Legacy EJ22

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Rhinoculips
In Neutral

Adjusting idle on a '91 Legacy EJ22

Post by Rhinoculips »

From all the reading i have done, it seems that in order to adjust the idle you need to turn the solenoid on top of the IAC and NOT the throttle stop screw on the throttle body. On my '91 EJ22 (installed in a VW camper) the IAC solenoid has only one possible position. In other words, there are no slots for the two screws (that hold the solenoid to the valve) to allow the repositioning of the solenoid on top of the IAC.

How do you adjust the idle with out these slots AND NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE STOP SCREW?????

Many thanks for the help.
Last edited by Rhinoculips on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You shouldn't have to adjust it. Did you clean the valve? There should be a few-year-old thread or two on it. I can't remember the procedure myself as I haven't done it in years, but I think you just take it apart and blast it with some carb cleaner.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Check for vacuum leaks (if you haven't already) as well. They cause idle problems more often than anything IMO.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
Rhinoculips
In Neutral

Post by Rhinoculips »

Actually I should have mentioned that I was originally trying to fix a cyclical idle problem by shooting carb cleaner in the intake of the IAC. I did remove the solenoid part of the IAC to actuate the shaft up and down while I blasted its innards.

The engine is recently rebuilt and all vacuum hoses are brand new, so vacuum leaks are most likely not the problem.

If the idle is indeed unadjustable and fully controlled by the ECU, will it learn to idle as I drive it more?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It might. As long as everything is in good shape, it should, but as with anything, there's no guarantee. Does it die or is it idling really high or is it just hunting, but drivable?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Rhinoculips
In Neutral

Post by Rhinoculips »

evolutionmovement wrote:It might. As long as everything is in good shape, it should, but as with anything, there's no guarantee. Does it die or is it idling really high or is it just hunting, but drivable?
It idles smoothly at 1000-1125rpms and is quite drivable now that the cyclical idle is gone.

FYI - For some reason, when I was cleaning the IAC, I did slightly stretch the spring (between the solenoid and IAC housing) that pushes the solenoid plunger back up into the solenoid. Maybe this has caused the higher idle? Why I did this, I have no idea.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Does your TB have a bypass adjustment screw on the top of it?

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/TB/

If it does, you may want to adjust that.

Also, the IAC valve for the MT motor isn't as good as the IAC valve for the AT motors, so as you mentioned, something may have been stretched when you took it apart.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Rhinoculips
In Neutral

Post by Rhinoculips »

Legacy777 wrote:Does your TB have a bypass adjustment screw on the top of it?

Also, the IAC valve for the MT motor isn't as good as the IAC valve for the AT motors, so as you mentioned, something may have been stretched when you took it apart.
There is a place for the screw, but no screw. By the looks of it, it "casted" shut at the bottom.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Rhinoculips wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:Does your TB have a bypass adjustment screw on the top of it?

There is a place for the screw, but no screw. By the looks of it, it "casted" shut at the bottom.
Ok, just checking. I fought a high idle problem because I cleaned the TB, and that adjustment screw was set a certain way.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Also, the IAC valve for the MT motor isn't as good as the IAC valve for the AT motors
Interesting.What is the difference?
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The IAC valve on the MT ECU's only have one PWM signal sent to the IAC valve to I believe close it. There's a spring in there to cause it to open.

On the AT cars there are two PWM signals sent to the IAC valve. One to open the valve, one to close. This provides more precise control of the IAC valve and air entering the engine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Rhinoculips
In Neutral

Post by Rhinoculips »

Legacy777 wrote:The IAC valve on the MT ECU's only have one PWM signal sent to the IAC valve to I believe close it. There's a spring in there to cause it to open.

On the AT cars there are two PWM signals sent to the IAC valve. One to open the valve, one to close. This provides more precise control of the IAC valve and air entering the engine.
Can a IAC valve from an automatic be used in a manual? The wiring harness has three wires with female connectors going to the IAC, BUT the solenoid on the IAC only has TWO male blades. Why would there be three wires going to the IAC and the IAC solenoid appears to only need two??????
roundeye
In Neutral

Post by roundeye »

my 92 na mt has a 3 wire iac. no spring. and adjustment slots. currently dead center.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm pretty sure I read in the haynes book that you should never have to adjust the idle because it's all controlled by the ECU.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Rhinoculips wrote:Can a IAC valve from an automatic be used in a manual? The wiring harness has three wires with female connectors going to the IAC, BUT the solenoid on the IAC only has TWO male blades. Why would there be three wires going to the IAC and the IAC solenoid appears to only need two??????
Depends on the ECU. The three wire IAC valves were used on the JECS ECU's. The 90-91 MT's used Hitachi ECU's, and I'm 99% sure you can't use the three wire IAC valve with them.

The three wire and two wire are completely different designs. One is a rotary design (3-wire) and one is a blade design with spring return.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT