Short Throttle Bodies?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Short Throttle Bodies?

Post by kimokalihi »

Did the JDM legacys have shorter throttle bodies than ours? And if so, did they use the same TPS as ours?

I'm trying to figure out if there's a shorter throttle body than the EJ22T I have because it's making the intercooler installation harder.

Here's a reference picture comparing the length of the inlets on an 92 EJ22T throttle body and a 97 JDM EJ20G throttle body.

They're back to back with the EJ22T on the left. I can't cut anything off the inlet of the EJ22T because the throttle bracket thing is in the way.

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

don't know about TPS, jdm one looks stubbier tho

I remember old top mounts caused people to cut the throttle body, but I certainly didn't need to in making room for the '06

what year IC you have? the '06+ ones can be had so inexpensively now....
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Agreed. There are no clearance issues with the 06/07 WRX TMIC's -- well in regards to the firewall, etc.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have the 06 TMIC but the problem isn't with the intercooler it's with the Samco Y pipe not reaching the TD04 outlet.

I guess I'll just have to lengthen it with a piece of pipe. I wonder how I could get a lip on the pipe ends to keep the hoses from coming off.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

kimokalihi wrote:I have the 06 TMIC but the problem isn't with the intercooler it's with the Samco Y pipe not reaching the TD04 outlet.
This has been covered in many of the TMIC installation guides. Yes, you need to extend it -- a 2" exhaust pipe is commonly used.
kimokalihi wrote:I wonder how I could get a lip on the pipe ends to keep the hoses from coming off.
One really should get the ends rolled. Seems only a few shops have the tool to do this, but it DOES help. Otherwise, crank down those t-clamps tight.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Re: Short Throttle Bodies?

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I've shortened my throttle body, it took some time and patience.. but turned out well! I removed 1/2"

To Fit This:

Compare:

Stock:

Modified:

Making room for hose:

To this:
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very interesting. I'm assuming you did that to fit that intercooler and not to allow your silicone Ypipe to reach the turbo? I don't know if 1/2" would be enough to allow it to reach my turbo.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

kimokalihi wrote:Very interesting. I'm assuming you did that to fit that intercooler and not to allow your silicone Ypipe to reach the turbo? I don't know if 1/2" would be enough to allow it to reach my turbo.
Yeah, it was to get it to clear the throttlebody. No hammering of the firewall required! :P

I used some 2" aluminum pipe and some hoses from the wrx and cut em and put the aluminum pipe in the middle to stretch it out :P It actually worked well!
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)