wich intake to choose?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JDMath
First Gear

wich intake to choose?

Post by JDMath »

ok i'll do the ej20g head swap for my ej22t and i have choice of 2 intake sti v2 or sti v4 wich one is the best?? thanks!
impreza 95, ej22t engine swap!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

V2 is less work, but requires a 90 inlet turbo. Uses the stock air intake tract.

V4 can use any Subaru turbo as an upgrade, but check out Kimo's build thread for what you are in for. Lot's of mods for the throttlebody, and a hard to find airbox and MAF.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
JDMath
First Gear

Post by JDMath »

dont understand the probleme with the maf and airbox, i just used the one i got now with my ej22t... and i already havea 90 degree intlet with my 16g
impreza 95, ej22t engine swap!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

JDMath wrote:dont understand the probleme with the maf and airbox
The V4 has an under the manifold turbo inlet. It requires a turbo that has a straight entry. Also the airbox outlet heads towards the power steering pump because the tube that feeds the turbo exits from under the manifold in that area.
i just used the one i got now with my ej22t... and i already havea 90 degree intlet with my 16g
If you already have a turbo, then the V2 EJ20G manifold is your easy choice.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I'm in the same boat as Kimo, as far as this MAF situation, so will ask here.

I believe the ej20k MAF orange label 22680AA271 is three wire. The ej22t MAF/harness is five wire. Will the 22t MAF connector plug onto the 20k MAF connector?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yes, avoid that under the manifold setup. Pain in the ass. It would be easier if you just slapped a cone filter on it and called it a day but I refuse! It would still be a pain in the ass though if you try using that silicone intake that goes under the manifold. It would not fit in there. Had to use all my strength to get it in there and then again to bolt the fuel lines back on over it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I've done some window shopping online and it looks like the 22680AA280 purple label is more easily available, and is the same size as ...271 orange label. Guess they meter differently. If you have engine management, will it be able to handle it? Ans.--yes.

edit: If you are going to use the ej22t harness just make sure you get one with the five pin plug. After consultation with my technical staff, I have learned I don't even need a MAF. Autronic EM uses IAT sensor and pressure sensor. I should have realized that.

Thanks for letting me use your thread Kimo. I'll get out now!