JECS MAF Question

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

JECS MAF Question

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

I finally found a Jecs Maf sensor. I found some info about the jecs maf in the forums here especially from douglas vincent, but didn't quite answer my thoughts.
My car is just above stock but my goal is 440 injectors, td04, 3in dp, pp6. My question is when can i use this? can i use it now? or do i need something else? any links or advise is appreciated!
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Once you drop in the TD04, good idea to put in the JECSs. Only real way to tell when it's needed is data log the MAF airflow/voltage with your boost levels. Once the Hitachi MAF is near 5V or airflow of ~155 g/sec, it's maxed out. JECS also is 5V but ~215 g/sec max. You really should be using EM when you swap in the JECS too, due to the different airflow vs voltage scaling.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

is that where the perfect power, pp6, comes into play? or some other form of em?
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I'm not sure how much the perfect power is, but the current stg 2 revtronix chip will take advantage of your current mods, and is around $250. I'm waiting on their user tunable chip, though, which should/might come out this year.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

When I ran the JECS on the stock ECU programming, it ran lean....even w/the 440cc injectors.

I recommend you run the JECS only w/the Revtronix or other EM that can manage it properly.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

wtdash wrote:When I ran the JECS on the stock ECU programming, it ran lean....even w/the 440cc injectors.

I recommend you run the JECS only w/the Revtronix or other EM that can manage it properly.

Td
can the perfect power manage that?
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Re: JECS MAF Question

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-bump to find an answer!
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

All i've always read was that it runs really LEAN!! Unless you have engine management. What i want to know is can i drop it in if i'm running 525cc. My car is on stock ECU while i'm waiting on the RobTune. I'd like to drop my Jecs in, because my car is just DUMPING fuel at the moment.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

CAV3MAN227 wrote:-bump to find an answer!
Did you check the PP6 site for info? Their documentation should tell you.

GL,
Td
Last edited by wtdash on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Florin1 wrote:All i've always read was that it runs really LEAN!! Unless you have engine management. What i want to know is can i drop it in if i'm running 525cc. My car is on stock ECU while i'm waiting on the RobTune. I'd like to drop my Jecs in, because my car is just DUMPING fuel at the moment.
W/out a wideband to check your AFR, you'll be taking a chance. If you're playing w/this type of stuff, you'll want one anyway, so I'd start shopping. I paid $100ish for my used LC1 about 2 years ago on ebay.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

My understanding, WHICH IS VERY LIMITED.

Any time you change to a different MAF, there has to be some sort of rescaling done, airflow=voltage. I believe this is usually done with a piggyback of some sort or Stand Alone EM.

Take these words as coming from an unexperienced NEWB!

Brian
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just swapping MAF's or injectors and expecting things to be ok is not good. Will the engine run...probably....will it run correctly, no.

The main issue is MAF sensors have a non-linear response curve. So there may be an area that the AFR's are ok, but another area where they are no way near being correct. So yes, this is why a piggy back or some form of engine management is needed to scale the entire MAF range properly.

There are some engine loading calculations that are factored off the MAF sensor, which can affect other things as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I just bought a brand new in the box innovative lc-1 wideband that came with the gauge, controller, sensor, all the discs and manuals, etc. for about $190 from ebay. The seller was loose bolt motorsports. That is a SMOKING deal, and its new in the box. Im very satisfied with it, besides the fact that my car runs really rich with stock injectors....:( any ideas?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Mattheww044 wrote:I just bought a brand new in the box innovative lc-1 wideband that came with the gauge, controller, sensor, all the discs and manuals, etc. for about $190 from ebay. The seller was loose bolt motorsports. That is a SMOKING deal, and its new in the box. Im very satisfied with it, besides the fact that my car runs really rich with stock injectors....:( any ideas?
Hey Hijacker :-)

Did you get your other CEL issues resolved? Until you're running 100% code-free, any AFR testing will be suspect.

(Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about yet ? Well, don't give me too much credit.) :-)

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

sorry. didn't mean to hijacking the thread, but that is a really good deal, and if you are talking about swapping injectors and mafs then a wideband is a must
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Ok so to hijack the thread again (Josh your input is needed here) i have an emanage that i wish to tune my SS with. what about getting a wrx maf to tune with that and the "Big maf" upgrade?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That should be doable with the emanage. I don't know how's it's setup, but if it's like any other piggy back (I'm assuming it's a piggy back) you should be able to do that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm