Interesting part from grimmspeed

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

logan9691
Second Gear

Interesting part from grimmspeed

Post by logan9691 »

VF43 custom FMIC APEXI intake Invidia 3" TBE JDM Ver. 4 RA STi trans (4.44) SPT short shifter rear LSD WRX rear axels coilover suspension JDM 4-pot front brakes drilled slotted rottors Greddy EBC tuned 20G ECU sti 550cc injectors Jecs MAF walbro 255
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I saw that the other day. It's interesting, it screws into the oil cap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

here's some info on it
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-l ... ad-47.html

Crawford performance definantly doesn't like it...
VF43 custom FMIC APEXI intake Invidia 3" TBE JDM Ver. 4 RA STi trans (4.44) SPT short shifter rear LSD WRX rear axels coilover suspension JDM 4-pot front brakes drilled slotted rottors Greddy EBC tuned 20G ECU sti 550cc injectors Jecs MAF walbro 255
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You know......iwsti is funny....they really are.

I remember when it was kind of an "invite" only forum for "technical" people. While there are a lot of technical people on there, I think they tend to way over complicate things beyond what is practical. I'm not specifically commented on the grimmspeed or crawford oil separator......just in general terms from past experience as well.

Honestly, I like my setup, it may not be a perfect setup, but it works, and I am kind of accomplishing what the "desired" setup is of having two catch cans.

I run the main vent at the back of the crank case to a catch can, and then back into the intake. The valve cover vents I've got foam filter media in a section that helps coalesce the oil vapor and allows it to drain back into the head. Beyond that, it follows the factory routing.

That's my thoughts. It's just funny reading comments from people that are, or think they are overly technical argue on the internet.....it's still kind of pointless.... :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I love people who argue paper against real world results. There's a reason people build prototypes or even sports events are held—if everything matched theory there'd be no need for either. Not saying this thing works, but more of a general comment. Some people do, some people argue.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

What a good deal at only $300.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That's a lot of dough for what it is. I hope Justin is having it made in America unlike a lot of the other stuff, (not that the other companies don't outsourse their stuff).

I'm going to make two catch cans, welded together for my PCV system. One canister for the heads and one for the crankcase.

Its funny that Crawford modified their catchcan for cold climates. It's been known for a long time that catch cans in cold climates turn your car into a smoke machine.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I could probably use one of those haha, I was poking around in the engine bay today and I definately have some oil in my intake. A catch can should do the job though, correct? or is something like this necessary to do the job properly?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Wow 67 pages, those guys are discussing the PCV system like it's a serious danger. I like GrimmSpeed's reply:
I agree that having an engineer design something is used as a sales technique and doesn't prove anything. I was hoping that my response to how the product was evaluated would at least show part of our qualification process. Your suggestion of requiring a seal is a very idealistic look at this and not very practical. Even if this system could work it reminds me of a movie quote from Tommy Boy, hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and stamp it with an engineer's SEAL, i will. i've got spare time. (Sorry to bring levity in this conversation. )
90 L+ wgn
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

There are vacuum pumps that people use to create a negative pressure in the crank case or provide improved brake assist.

I argue that a vacuum pump connected to the crankcase/valvecovers with a filter attached would be superior to any catch can or separator or fancy oil cap adapter bullshit. Hell you could even run the outlet of the pump to the back of the car so the oil wouldnt foil up the intake or engine bay.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I would think you'd have to get the vacuum pressure right or the pistons would be fighting against the negative pressure as they try to compress or exhaust. Maybe something small like the vacuum from the intake under low throttle conditions... I can't think of an easy way to return the oil to the sump instead of the intake other than the catch can without introducing a separate, powered system.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

evolutionmovement wrote:I would think you'd have to get the vacuum pressure right or the pistons would be fighting against the negative pressure as they try to compress or exhaust.
You forget the beauty of the flat four boxer, the cylinders are timed so that the pressure changes compared to outside the crankcase are minimal. There is alot of airflow from 1-3 and 2-4 but if we really wanted to be nerds couldn't we say this pump would free up more power since there is less air to pump back and forth? lol
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Good point. I think the aim, then, would be to maintain neutral pressure.