I want new intake!

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subytech
Second Gear

Re: I want new intake!

Post by subytech »

Yea I always wait till my normal car is warm before really driving it but the car in question is kinda our beater. We love to beat the piss out of it just to see how far it will go, actually its probubly the most reliable car in the driveway lol.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Shaggy wrote:I believe it's just to make ur car not as loud. With it off u also suck more air I think... I like it.. Just do it u won't regret it.. U can always put it back on if u don't like it
Thanx. Guess I will try it out and see for my self. I just unbolt it and thats it? Most of the stuff I have read has people doing some cutting, widening, fabricating etc which is what I was trying to avoid. I would just like to unbolt and if I decide to go back to stock I re-bolt. Same with my grill. Havent modded it yet because I am looking for a cheap one to mess with so I will have two of em... I will put pix up as soon as I find a decent camera - all of mine are either missing or not working :evil: Cheerz
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Ya, just unbolt it. Dont cut anything.
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Elcapitan wrote:
Shaggy wrote:I believe it's just to make ur car not as loud. With it off u also suck more air I think... I like it.. Just do it u won't regret it.. U can always put it back on if u don't like it
Thanx. Guess I will try it out and see for my self. I just unbolt it and thats it? Most of the stuff I have read has people doing some cutting, widening, fabricating etc which is what I was trying to avoid. I would just like to unbolt and if I decide to go back to stock I re-bolt. Same with my grill. Havent modded it yet because I am looking for a cheap one to mess with so I will have two of em... I will put pix up as soon as I find a decent camera - all of mine are either missing or not working :evil: Cheerz
The cutting has to do with the airbox, it's something else, not really necessary, should just unbolt out. I wouldn't worry about going back to stock, you can't tell if it's there without taking parts off the car...
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

I never saw the advantage of having a filter that you have to wash and oil. I dont know maybee its just me but it seems it would be more restrictive and plug up faster. Clean paper filters are the way to go. Also the mod on removing the snorkle is fairly easy worst part is probably taking off the bumper and hoping those old bolts in the bracket dont break off LOL.
1990 Subaru Legacy L 89k auto to 5 speed winter daily driver
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
1988 Mazda Rx7 vert > Turbo 2 trans swap
1993 Honda Civic Vx Gutted
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

beanis05 wrote:I never saw the advantage of having a filter that you have to wash and oil. I dont know maybee its just me but it seems it would be more restrictive and plug up faster. Clean paper filters are the way to go. Also the mod on removing the snorkle is fairly easy worst part is probably taking off the bumper and hoping those old bolts in the bracket dont break off LOL.
You never have to replace the filter :D I hate buying new filters, and I do it far too often, a lot easier for me to just clean it. And it may or not be more restrictive depending on the filter, generally though it's almost exactly the same. And if you go cone you don't really have an option.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Elcapitan wrote:hey guys,

Noob alert.. I want to remove my snorkel as well and see the sound difference. However I'd like to know if there is a down side to doing this? i.e. what is its purpose there and what happens when its not. Oh my baby is a 91RS -
You may want to read this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1471819. It's really long but if you concentrate on the facts, it becomes clear that removing the snorkus is not a good idea.

While the information specifically applies to gc/gg NA Imprezas, it probably applies to the NA Legacies, too. In a nutshell, if you remove the Helmholtz resonator, the so-called snorkus that is inside the passenger fender, you will lose low-end torque. More importantly, it can become a safety issue. Imagine having to "floor" your gas pedal from a dead stop or at very low speeds. The engine will bog horribly and if you're trying to get out of the way of, say, an inattentive driver, you will lose precious time and space in getting out of the way.

And for the engine, you will make your engine run lean, drastically lean, if you "floored" your gas pedal at low rpms. This, in turn, will affect the ecu -- it will start to lean out the rest of the rpm band.

I had removed the snorkus in my '98 Legacy with the 2.2L NA engine (before I came across that thread). I ended up experiencing all of the above negative effects. I re-installed the snorkus, and the severe bogging went away and torque and driveability went up. While the first-generation NA Legacies may be different than the second-generation NA Legacies, I would venture that the effects would be very similar.

The recommended procedure in the above-referenced thread is to leave everything BEFORE the air filter box alone but modify the intake AFTER the MAF with an ebay (or other name brand) aluminum, mandrel-bent intake. But you will have to spend some time modifying an ebay intake to make it fit properly as well as to hook up the MAF and vacuum hoses properly. Some welding of sorts may be needed, depending on what aftermarket intake you get.

I did an easier option, though it may not be as good. I replaced the '98 intake with a '96 Legacy NA intake that has a 45* angle intake tract. The '98 intake has a huge airbox just before the throttle body and that cuts down performance. The first gen NA intakes are not as bad as the '98 intakes but the '95-'96 intakes will still have less severe bends than the first gen intakes. Performance-wise, it's not as good as the aluminum ebay (or aftermarket name brand) intakes because it still has the ribbing for flexibility in removing and installing the intake, and the ribbing does disrupt airflow for peak efficiency.

As a final thought, if anyone removes the snorkus in their first gen NA Legacies and find that the above information and conditions don't apply, please post your findings for all of our benefit.
'94 TW