I want new intake!

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

I want new intake!

Post by Shaggy »

I haven't been able to find anything for my car. I want to atleast want to replace my stock plastic intake tube with a nice chrome metal one. I have a 90 legacy l awd non turbo. Does anyone know if I even can replace my stock one? I just ordered a k&n filter cause that was the best I figured I could do for now. Any help would be appriciated.... Thnx
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I want new intake!

Post by Legacy777 »

I know you may not want to hear this, but there's really no reason to replace the intake tube.

Probably your best option if you must is to try and find a generic intake tube to modify, or try to find one from a mid 90's impreza to modify and install.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

See those ribs in the intake tube? Those are designed to help your MAF get a proper reading. You should leave the stock intake alone.

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Those ribs are past the MAF...
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are just to account for movement with the MAF being attached to the body and the engine rocking on the mounts.

Don't bother with an intake—it won't make more power anyway. If you want it to sound better, just rip out the snorkel in the fender. That will give it a little growl. Beyond that, I'd work with the strengths of the car—it's cheap and reliable—drive it and save money. Any serious power is going to eliminate the cheap and reliable and there are better options if you just want to go fast. Some decent wheels, aftermarket steering wheel, and shift knob will transform how fun it is to drive.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I took the snorkel out today, I like the difference in the sound :) I found a nice shiny universal intake tube at autozone for $40 but wasn't sure if it was worth it, or even if it was compatable with my car. I plan on putting these tires on my car to make it sit just a hair higher and to have some a/t tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... R4ARAKORWL

I don't want to do to much to my car but I want to 4 wheel with it when i want to. I'm going to replace my struts cause they are a little bouncy, I was thinking about going with the98 outback set up but bot sure.. Iwant to get them new but I don't know where a good place to get them would be. Thnx for the help.
REAL
In Neutral

Post by REAL »

kimokalihi wrote:See those ribs in the intake tube? Those are designed to help your MAF get a proper reading. You should leave the stock intake alone.

i would like to see your information for this ??

because i believe that info to be bs... :mrgreen:

mate i wouldn't wast my money on it... just leave the stock air-box on their and save up for some .. swaybars, 2 pot rs brakes, lower springs (coilovers) and good rubber..

thats the only way your going to get your NA to go quicker :D
My Ride!
http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82676
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

or cams, port and polish, full exhaust with 2.5L headers, higher compression, light pulleys... or maybe you could put in a nice big block haha. if you do a search you should be able to find designs that i have made for my CAI
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Could anyone help me find the thread for cleaning the iac. I took the motor off and cleaned the parts and I also noticed some wear of one side of the selenoid that's inside. Is that realy bad? I've heard that here is a couple year old thread on cleaning it and I wanted to check it out before I take the whe thing off and clean it.
mpereznoble
In Neutral

Post by mpereznoble »

Does anyone tried out the K&N panel filter ? Does the sound change? Performance?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I have one. The advantage is not having to replace a paper filter. Made no difference that I could detect in my '83 GL and I can't speak for the Legacy since I replaced the snorkel with an external air intake at the same time. That made it sound a little meaner and seemed to add a little power at highway speeds and reduce the performance drop in hotter weather, but the latter is entirely subjective.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mpereznoble
In Neutral

Post by mpereznoble »

Where is that snorkel? I had just look for it and i couldnt find it!
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I have a k&n panel filter in my legacy and I think it mainly gave me a few more mpg and maybe a little bit more accelleration not realy too much more noise. Most of the improvment came from taking the snorkel off. It's inside the passenger fender and it's only two bolts, one on top and one on bottom. It was free and best mod Ive done for my car so far.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Honestly, I can tell absolutely zero difference between the k&n panel filter and a clean paper filter.

I usually don't let my filters get too dirty, so I really can't compare from that stand point. I don't care for the oiled filters as much due to potential issues with the MAF sensors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Josh, have you ever had any issues from the oil on the MAF? I think if you follow the directions and re-oil it just enough so that the filter turns red, it shouldn't be a problem. No worries at all with the old carb engine. Of course, not much power either.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well....the issues I had were primarily with the cone k&n oiled filters.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mpereznoble
In Neutral

Post by mpereznoble »

Thanks, i`ll see what i can do...
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

SILINC3R wrote:or cams, port and polish, full exhaust with 2.5L headers, higher compression, light pulleys... or maybe you could put in a nice big block haha. if you do a search you should be able to find designs that i have made for my CAI

port and polish is pretty much useless the factory made it that way for a reason if you port and polish it you need to mess with your air to fuel ratio then to even make it help
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

well shouldnt the ECU adjust some much for that. you can always install a little larger injectors
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

Yeah you can but that's just more and more money. I wouldn't go that crazy unless I was making a car for the strip or track. Plus when you get to big of injectors to help compinsate you'll have to look at getting a more powerful fuel pump. And like I said that's more and more money. Anything is possible just money is the issue. I'd just go for bigger turbo more boost. Make sure just everthing is perfect under the cylinder head and everything is exactly the way it should be. Then if you really want more power and have money do high compression pistons and h style beams. Aftermarket camshaft and so on and so forth. Just gotta make everything more sturdy for more and more power. :) And do a bunch of electronic upgrades as piggyback units an such.
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

hey guys,

Noob alert.. I want to remove my snorkel as well and see the sound difference. However I'd like to know if there is a down side to doing this? i.e. what is its purpose there and what happens when its not. Oh my baby is a 91RS -
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I believe it's just to make ur car not as loud. With it off u also suck more air I think... I like it.. Just do it u won't regret it.. U can always put it back on if u don't like it
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

props for having an RS, we do need pictures of course and welcome to the board. there has been some debate on this but if you search in the intake section you will find more info
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

The later 90's 2.5RS intakes work pritty well on the na car, easy to find and relitively bolt and go, VERY LOUD especially at redline, sound like VTEC the last 500 rpm before redline I think lol. Also haven't noticed any performance gains or MPG gains, if anything i should note that the car is a complete DOG when cold, coughs and sputters really bad if you take off right after cold start up, this could also be due to the fact that the motors getting a bit tired but just thought I would say something.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

^^ I always let my car warm up for a minute or two, i feel terrible driving her cold :shock:
1992 Legacy Sport