Hey guys, a few questions/minor problems.

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LookAsubie
First Gear

Hey guys, a few questions/minor problems.

Post by LookAsubie »

Alright I have a 92 legacy SS 5mt. Im running a stock VF-11, 02 wrx top mount, perrin manual boost controller, walboro 255, stock injectors, short ram intake, perrin lightweight crank pulley, plastic wrx BPV, blitz turbo timer and an electric prosport boost gauge.

I think that should be all i need to mention that will be relevant. Anyways, i bought my perrin manual boost controller about 5 months ago or so. and when i first installed it, the instructions say to put it at the lowest setting and it will be about equal to your cars stock boost. I did this and even at the lowest level my car felt significantly faster, pulled alot harder. So my car must have been running lower than stock boost until then for some reason. i think i still may have a vacuum line or two that may not be hooked up 100% correctly from the previous owner?

Next. after the boost controller i got the prosport boost gauge because my turbo timer reads it in bar and i wanted PSI. I just T'd into the line to the turbo timer for the prosport gauge. will this cause it to be less accurate?

So i set my boost to 11 almost 12 psi and ran it like that for several months. It has ran pretty great with no real problems. but it doesnt always feel smooth when boosting, sometimes its kinda jerky and hesitant, especially in 4th and 5th gear. It feels like its pretty hesitant and weird in 4th and 5th. does anyone else have this problem?

to continue on the subject of not boosting totally smooth. Most of the time it will boost real smooth under like 3/4 throttle and when im WOT it sounds almost like i have an EWG. im thinking i may have some sort of leak somewhere.

Recently i decided to turn up my boost controller just a tad bit to get around 12-12.5 psi. and i didnt really feel a difference (didnt expect much) but when driving or boosting, my rpms would hang up for a few seconds betweens shifts for some reason.. it really annoyed me so i turned my boost controller back down a bit. Now it says im only hitting about 10 psi. I am just leaving it at that for a while.

To those of you who actually read this, thanks, and i dont expect anyone to just know exactly what the problems are lol, just let me know if you have any ideas or info. Or if any of you are having or have experienced the same things.

Thanks alot,
-Logan
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Hey guys, a few questions/minor problems.

Post by cj91legss »

get some starting fluid, and while your car is idleing spray all your vacuum & intake lines to check for a leak
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Any specific reason on using starting fluid?
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

starting fluid is combustiblle. so if you have a vacuum leake or a leak in your intake system anywhere and you spray it with starting fluid, then your idle will jump up and if it does, you'll know you have a leak and you should fix it.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT