Intake Manifold Removal and Installation

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Intake Manifold Removal and Installation

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-So today a friend and I removed my manifold off of my 92 t-leg for cleaning and inspection. The car has been sitting a good eight months with weekly start-ups give or take.
-My question is, while the intake manifold is off, what should I be looking for? Is there anything that needs definite replacement? Is there anything that should be done prior to installation?
-Any advise is appreciated. If pictures are needed, I can get them up on here as soon as I wake up.
-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intake Manifold Removal and Installation

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd check the hoses, wiring, and such under the intake manifold. If you are ambitious you could clean the crude off the top of the block, but it's not really necessary. If you do clean the top of the motor make sure to plug/seal the intake ports so you don't get anything in there.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

theres a tube that goes from the block to the intake manifold behind the alternator. it will most likely break on u. plus theres a tube that comes up on the left side of the block in the back in front of the turbo. that i can bet will break on u if not careful. just take ur time and make sure u have everything unplugged before trying to remove it.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Personally, I would maybe throw in some braided fuel lines. Those damned metal fuel lines are such a PITA to get on and off the manifold, so I would get some braided lines and hook up some new fuel delivery. I haven't done this to my car, but I have seen it done on others and if I ever have to remove my IM again, I am definitely doing this. Just a suggestion though, do whatever your heart desires.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

I just pulled my manifold off the other day, installed manifold spacers, tb gasket, air module gasket, injector o rings, pcv valve, and painted the manifold wrinkle black. I also took the extra step to fully clean out all the oil and gunk from the manifold and throttle body
93 legacy l
to much to list....
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

im curious, after cleaning the manifold and throttle body was there a difference , did the car feel more crisp or did you just end up cleaning a dirty part? what happened after you cleaned it?
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I actually just removed and replaced my intake manifold this weekend. I had suspected vacuum leaks at the gaskets but during the process of removing them found the vacuum line mentioned above, located behind the alternator was badly cracked. It was very hard and during removing that line i broke the stupid plastic pipe it attaches to. :palm to forehead: Other then that it was pretty straight forward. Im not sure i needed to replace the gaskets since it seems i found the leak, but i did anyway since i was in there. The manifold itself was surprisingly clean so i didnt mess with it. The throttle body on the other hand had some varnish build up before the throttle plate and where that flapper seals to the TB so i think it was allowing to much air to flow affecting the idle. It felt like a little more crisp throttle response afterwards. But things like that are hard to measure.

While i was in there last time i also bypassed the coolant line that flows through the TB. Its only purpose is to prevent your TB from icing over in colder climates. So if you live in a place where that isnt a problem i would highly recommend removing it as it keeps your intake air cooler. Which means more potential for power. And is free if you have a spare bit of hose about 8 inches long. Only a dollar if you have to pick some up.

And i highly, highly recommend cleaning your ecu ground. Since it is normally difficult to get to and with the manifold off, it is right there.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
illanrob
In Neutral

How to: Intake Manifold Removal and Installation

Post by illanrob »

I have a 93 Legacy L 2.2L 5spd EJ22 engine and planning to remove the intake mani to replace the head gasket.

No sure how to remove the manifold (I replaced the mani gaskets 7 yrs ago and only loosed it and had about an inch clearance to do the remove and replace. The cracked gaskets were replaced and the engine has been excellent until now) so that it swings toward the wind shield.

When you removed the intake manifold did you:
remove the fuel rail
removed injectors
disconnected the harness cable at the fender
what did you leave connected?
Robert Illan 93 Legacy L 5spd 140kmi
Huntsville, Albama
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS Robert.

To remove the intake manifold you really just need to remove the hoses going to the charcoal canister in the front passenger side, remove the fuel lines going to the manifold on the driver's side, disconnect the electrical connector behind the battery, remove the intake piping from the throttle body, remove the coolant hose going to the bottom of the throttle body (driver's side), coolant hose to the IAC valve, unplug the electrical connector for the coolant temp sensors, then unbolt the manifold, and lift it off. If it doesn't come off, you may have missed something. But that's essentially the bulk of the work.

If you're planning to do the head gaskets in the car, I'd suggest cleaning the block mating surface very well, and check for warpage as best as you can with the engine in the car. Do the same with the heads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
reddragons
In Neutral

Post by reddragons »

i just had mine off/ it was a pain in the ass, that's for sure. with a turbo there's a couple more things, but still. like 777 said, do that. i actually unplugged all the bits under the manilfold and pulled the harness out through the drivers side between the runners. unplugging from the harness would have been easier. i did put new wire loom on the harness though, as all the wires were unprotected.

originally i didn't remove my ps pump, but even that was getting in the way so i said fuck it and took that off too. very easy, but be ready for some ps oil coming out of the pump and lines. i dunno, they might not bother you but they were in my way.
hmmmmm........ 94 turbo legacy maroon.

1995 impreza L sedan-r.i.p.
1997 cav z24 (seized the motor)
vroom vroom party starter!
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

Should not have to undo the ps lines to move the pump to the side, just undo the 3 bolts on the bracket, and the supports for the lines above the fuel rail and flop it to the side, same deal for the a/c compressor.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap