here is my intake. . .

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

sdersham
In Neutral

here is my intake. . .

Post by sdersham »

I put this together after reading quite a bit about the coffee can and other modifications.
it works well and now I can hear that little turbo! :-D took about 20 min and about $40.
the vacuum line kit was invaluable. it made the whole thing easy.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: here is my intake. . .

Post by kimokalihi »

Looks good. Where did you get the parts at?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Be careful about that 90 degree turbo inlet hose. That much flex on that hose could cause it to fail prematurely.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sdersham
In Neutral

Post by sdersham »

I got the parts at the local auto zone. I think the brand is spectre.

I will try to get a bent tube to straighten out the 90* inlet. maybe I will go back to the original air box.

is it better to have the air box? I plan to build a heat shield to separate the filter from the engine.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's kind of a continuing discussion of debate. What some open air filters can cause increased turbulance before the MAF sensor, which can cause issues with the ECU's ability to measure the amount of air going into the engine. The stock airbox does a better job at reducing turbulant air across the MAF.

Some have reported loss of torque when going away from the stock air box. Other item of possible issue is over-oiling of filters, and the oil mist can cause fouling and damage to the MAF sensor.

FWIW, I had a cone filter for several years and decided to go back to the stock airbox and add an additional inlet tube to the bottom portion of the airbox.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You're most likely not going to get any real evidence either way on the internet or anywhere else for that matter on which is better; cone filter vs stock airbox. But the way I see it is, the stock air filter filters finer particles from the air than those cone filters. The oiling of the filter is crucial and a lot of people either don't do it at all or over-do it to the point where it's getting on the MAF element and misreading or damaging it.

Why put a cone filter in your engine bay anyways? Save a little money on replacing a cheap OEM filter? Besides the stock airbox was designed with the MAF in mind and to bring in cool air unlike placing a cone filter in your hot engine bay. I've never seen any evidence of an increase in power using a cone filter. Unless of course, you believe that crap that K&N publishes in tuner magazines.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You can take cold air with the air box by removing the snorkel and running a hose to an external intake.

Oy, I guess I'll post this again.

Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

^^ that's a cool idea with the naca duct.

I just reinstalled all the stock air intake pipes, bends, boxes and crap when I swapped engines. It was my first time actually looking at the route of the air flow. I have to think there would be a better way than the stock pipes to bring air into the engine. The loopty loop box in the fender is crazy (is that the snorkel), and doesn't look like it helps the flow in any way. It looks like it's main purpose is built to be water ingestion safe. Cool air yes, but flow characteristics?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Also never had a problem with water. Ramming snow banks will compact snow into it and the engine will stumble a little, but not really be a problem. 20 seconds with a pen or something clears it anyway. More power? Butt dyno says so, and the car was fast for a 2.2 N/A, but how much, if anything the intake contributed, I don't know. What it did do is help keep power more consistent instead of dropping off in hot weather.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

evolutionmovement, that looks nice!
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.