early EJ20G PCV?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subytech
Second Gear

early EJ20G PCV?

Post by subytech »

Did some searching couldn't find a whole lot. Does anyone have a good way of plumbing the PCV system for these heads on a 22t block. I've started consuming oil now that Ive got this set up in the car, and supposedly the heads had been gone through before they were sold to me, and they looked like it. Also I've noticed quite a bit of moistrure on the bottom of the oil cap making me think that my pcv setup isn't working any help or if anyone had a 20g pcv diagram would be great. The heads are the older large CC heads.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
asotwavb
First Gear

Re: early EJ20G PCV?

Post by asotwavb »

HLA lifters?
1992 Legacy Sport
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Yes these heads have HLA's, If your questioning if thats the oil consumption issue I can't possibly see how?
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As for a PCV diagram, you can probably find one in the FSM I've got on my server.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... SM_-_FULL/

How do you currently have everything piped up?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Its mostly set up like it would be stock, but I've blocked off the crank breather behind the alternator and obviously theres no dedicated line between just the valve covers.
Looking down twards the block port at the back of the block where the "F" pipe normally is, the clear tubing goes to the PCV valve

Looking twards the PCV valve from the passengers side of the engine bay.

Thanks for the diagram, I noticed that it seems that normally the line to the PCV valve "T"s off between the crankcase and intake sorce and I have it on the top most line in the "T". So I think I will change that first and see if that helps. Also wondering if I need to somehow plumb in the front crankcase port back in?
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

The more I look at the diagrams the more I'm thinking that my valve seals are bad, which still doesn't make sence, I've got a diecent puff of blue smoke on start up but dont see much other than that. When I did all this work the cylinder walls still had good crosshatching on them and I get 19" of vacuum at idle and 25" on decel. I should also mention the car used vertually no oil when I tore it down. Not much oil to speak of in the intercooler pipes considering the oil consumption rate. I did have quite a good oil leak at the turbo oil return tube at the back of the cyl. head but I've sence fixed that and am monitering my oil consumtion rate right now so we'll see.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There's two things I think you need to address. The first is the port in the crankcase. The center vent helps equalize the pressure between the crankcase and the heads. It shouldn't be too big a deal to add this.

Second is what you mentioned above, you need to provide another source of vacuum for the line coming out of the back of the block. Right now when you're on boost, that line can not vent into the manifold. Add a line that tees into the piping pre turbo.

With both of those tweaks, I think it should help.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I have a line that feeds pre turbo from the rear crankcase port. If you look in the first pic you can see the clear pipe heading to the PCV valve then the black hose Teeing off before that clear hose and routing into the intake elbow just before the turbo intake. So I'm assuming to add in that front crank port i need to T into the line that comes from my drivers cam cover. I thought about this when i was mocking up the PCV system but wasn't sure if the crankcase pressure would just blow out that port but now that I've been looking at all these diagrams it makes sence to add it in.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should really tee into the driver's & passenger side valve cover PCV lines and then tee those into the front crankcase vent. That will help equalize any pressure difference between the heads and the crankcase.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT