intake sensor bringing me down

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

intake sensor bringing me down

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

On a drive, I was splashing through puddles, having a good time; then later that night, as I go to restart my car, it begins to idle very strangely ... violently. Sputtering, gasping, and always eventually dying. At times it would idle for 10 min; others for 4 sec, or wouldn't even start.

Anyways I replaced the entire air intake, and there was light mud splattered half way up the main intake hose, (Past the filter!), the sensor just after the filter was also spattered, and lightly caked with mud, I assume this was the problem, as the car ran very normal again after the swap.

MAIN QUESTION: What is the best air intake I can get for the stock ej 2.2 n/a? I am leaning towards cobb cold air (modding so it takes air from above the grille), but I was just wondering if anyone had some better suggestions, I'm looking for anything that may add a little more hp and torque. Thanks
Rallye
Last edited by LegyC-LegyDO on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: intake sensor bringing me down

Post by kimokalihi »

Custom snorkel FTW!
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

Maybe, where would you recommend to locate the intake vent?
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What are you using it for? If you're going through creekbeds and stuff maybe a snorkel wouldn't be a bad idea but you have to make sure it's water tight. I'd run it through the stock hole but make your own piping and through the fender up the side of the A pillar.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you running the stock air box and and air filter? If so, I don't see how the MAF sensor (which is the sensor you mentioned) could have gotten muddy unless the entire air filter was destroyed.

If you're running an open pod style filter, I would not recommend that with the type of driving you're looking to do. At the very least, put the stock air box and fender snorkle back on. Like mentioned above, if you want to be crossing rivers, extend an air snorkel that comes out of the fender or hood to the roof line area so you don't suck in any water. You may need to seal the intake track up real good if this is your plan.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

Yes all stock and I know man, I couldn't believe the sensor was splattered and wet either, but it was I promise, I'll post pics in a few days. The best explanation that I could come up with was that after a solid three weeks of heavy rain, and a 5 mile rally on a pot holly road, all of which were filled with water and splashing up right where the intake is completely saturated the airfilter. There was some standing water in the filter box, and the filter was very, very wet and dirty.

The idle started really messing up the day after that rally, during which the car's motor was constantly working between 4000 and 7000 rpm, and making a pretty good climb. With the totally saturated filter, I think the car was pulling for air so hard that dirty water did make it past the airfilter, which had no holes or anything.

Is there a way to make the engine ignore that senor?
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Something I did to cure the water in the filter box was drill extra drain holes in the bottom channel thing. So far, I've seen the metal under the filter box wet and thats it. I haven't opened the box recently or driven through any puddles. It also makes the intake a little louder but I don't mind that.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The car has to have the MAF sensor in order to know how much air is going into the engine. No way around it. I'd clean the maf up and replace the air filter, and see how things run. If you plan to continue the puddle splashing, then you probably need to modify the air inlet setup so it's not pulling in so much water.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

Yeah, I was afraid that the sensor was required. Thanks for the tips, I'll drill a few extra holes in the cavity below the snorkle for now. I already replaced the entire intake on the car with another stock intake, and it runs great.

But still guys, what do you think about the cobb cold air intake, which would be pulling air from above the grille, I heard that they are great and add a little hp/torque to any motor, but I've also heard that isn't true.

Any idea how it would affect the ej 2.2. n/a?

Also it seems like that it a better intake spot anyways, higher and direct air entrance?

Any thoughts

Thanks again.
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You'll have to tweak things to get it to fit. IMO, the cobb stuff is a little over priced, especially if you got to hack it up to make it fit. Personally, I'd just leave the stock airbox in there.

Regarding the water and such, how are your fender liners? Do you have them, and are they in good shape?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

LegyC-LegyDO
In Neutral

Post by LegyC-LegyDO »

Fender liners! Damn, I completely forgot I tore those out last summer, good thinking, I'll slip those back on, that should keep the water out.
Thanks again

...thet're such a pain in the ass though
rallyOre.
91 legacy turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....if you put the fender lines back in, you should be fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT