Cone Filter with ABS

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Baddog
Second Gear

Cone Filter with ABS

Post by Baddog »

92 Legacy "LS" It has the ABS and the shape of the intake tubing is different on the first gens then the 2nd gens I am used to. Friend was wanting to run an open cone filter. What is the way around this?

I was thinking that the "Ebay style" intake would work since the lines are in the same spot (IACV, PCV, etc.) as on my 96 L.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Re: Cone Filter with ABS

Post by 93forestpearl »

You don't really gain anything by running a cone filter. If anything, you loose HP since the air you've drawn in is easily 50 degrees warmer than using the stock airbox.
Last edited by 93forestpearl on Wed May 11, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I agree^^^

Your best bet if you want actual power increases is to remove the "snorkus" in the fender well. Then, remove the rubber grommet that is a part of the box that faces the fender. That makes the intake hole go from like 2'' to at least 3'' which allows more air. Drop in a K&N panel filter and call it a day. Although you should fallow that up with the coffee cup mod that i posted in response to your other post. That way your allowing more air to ultimately be able to enter your engine, which ultimately means more potential for power.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

You should get some power if you block off the heat completely, you're better off with it in the fender though. Really when you get down to it, any gains or losses are negligible, only real reason to do it is if you want the sound
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Not only that but do you really want to clean the filter and oil it? Meanwhile the only way you're getting more flow is because it's letting through more particulates which means it's dirtying up your engine more. Stupidest mod ever. Spend that money on some NGK spark plugs, spark gap gauge, NGK wires, fuel filter, mobil 1 oil and wix filter and stuff like that.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

I ran one on my 96 Legacy and it gave it more top end but I lost what felt like a lot of low end so I went to the stock airbox with ebay intake tubing.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

kimokalihi wrote:Not only that but do you really want to clean the filter and oil it? Meanwhile the only way you're getting more flow is because it's letting through more particulates which means it's dirtying up your engine more. Stupidest mod ever. Spend that money on some NGK spark plugs, spark gap gauge, NGK wires, fuel filter, mobil 1 oil and wix filter and stuff like that.
Good point on the dirt. But you have to clean and oil K&N drop in filters too, and you have to buy new paper filters every so often, so that's kind of a toss up.
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

correct me if im mistaken, which is entirely possible, but isnt a cone filter in essence the same thing as your stock air box with the snokus delete that was mentioned earlier in this post?, Its a filter connected right to the MAF with no other tubing , the only diff is that your stock air box is a box that contains your filter compared to an open cone filter?
again i could be completely incorrect and im sure theres a scientific diff, but from a general stand point i dont see much of a difference.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

There's a big difference. The stock paper drop in filter has smaller pores and filters more particulates out. It's also pulling air from the fender which is ambient air temp vs much hotter air from the engine bay with a cone filter. I'm also going to guess that the air coming from the stock designed-for-the-engine/MAF air box and filter introduces less turbulence than a cone filter which will probably make for a better and more accurate MAF reading.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

my apologies, i was speaking from knowledge with my car, i have done the snokus delete , paired with a k&n drop in filter, this all takes place on a 91 ss turbo.