Reverse Intake Manifold EJ22T

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ghia nut
First Gear

Reverse Intake Manifold EJ22T

Post by ghia nut »

Hey guys, quick qeustion here.
I have to reverse my intake manifold, not on a suby so I dont have to worry about hood clearance and what not.

My friend did a reverse manifold on his STI and was able to keep his alternator mounted in the stock location.
He did this buy using GrimmSpeed's Phenolic 8mm spacers and setting his alternator at its lowest setting.. Im wondering if I can do the same with my ej22t manifold or what. So can these spacers be used ( http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/produ ... ucts_id=55 )

I kinda like the alternator in the center, and when reversing the manifold, it puts the throttle arm in the perfect spot. Thanks for any help.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reverse Intake Manifold EJ22T

Post by Legacy777 »

I know you can use the spacers, and I'm pretty sure folks have reversed the manifold.

However I can't really comment on the alternator. Worst case, you try it and if it doesn't work, move the alternator to where the AC is (assuming you don't plan to keep the AC).
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

see thats the thing...
The IAC Kind gets in the way of things if I wanted to mount it where the AC compressor goes. I think I can reasonably fit where the powersteering went but theres no bracket made by a company that I know of.
I was hoping that the Phenolic spacers would give me the clearance to just use the stock brackets and everything would be all honkeydory. I have to have the IAC to run the stock ECU and wiring.

Will those Phelonic spacers fit the ej22 manifold?

Picture for reference...
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You can make them easy enough. Buy the plastic or aluminum, trace the manifold gasket, drill & Dremel.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

What material is best for this? I have free access to a laser cutter at work. I tried researching phenolic materials and sheets of it on eBay but didn't turn anything up really.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you would want the alternator on the other side for easiest installation. the alternator bracket allows you to just flip it right over to where the AC Condenser would be.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

how would it be done as in holding it down for the other side of the bracket? and wouldnt it interfere with the IAC?
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Iv never heard of anybody mention doing this before. Im just curious what the benifit would be of doing it if it can be done.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

ok, heres a picture of a guy I know that did it. Its a VW Karmann Ghia, stock NA ej22. Ive done so much looking and searching for this my head hurts.

I dont know what that thing is on the alternator to the right, looks like a bolt adjuster. This is a 1.8 manifold though, and I really like my stock ej22t manifold... I just spent like 6 hours prepping and painting it to look like an STI manifold.

As for benefits...
For you legacy guys... this would cut down piping for front mount interfoolers, friend did it on his WRX and it really helped with some of the lag. For my benefit, I wouldnt have to cut my firewall...
flat_iv might be on here, its his ghia.

Im at work now with the laser cutters and once these students leave Ill be cutting some mockup spacers.
Im going to try these mockups out to see if it will help with the clearance of the IAC in the reverse setup.
If it doesnt it may elevate it to where I can take a chunk out of the alternator bracket and allow me to use the stock bracket.
Updates in a few
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The alternator setup looks unfinished/jury rigged. I'm pretty sure that's just an adjuster resting on the block or, even worse, the timing belt cover. It looks like there should be plenty of room to have left it in the stock position, maybe just lower, but that's what shorter belts are for.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

fotki is such a crappy pics hoster...

any ways, I made some test spacers out of .375 acrylic,
guess we will see what this does
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

hey, those look good. i think i want a set!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

Hmmmm if i can find suitable material and can process it right in our laser cutter I could make some spares just can't use this acrlic as it will melt warp crack and fog with gas hitting it. Grimmspeeds charging 80 damn bucks for these... mine has a little more material around it and needs some minor tweaks... you really interested? I'm pretty sure I can cut their price in half!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

yeah but i would need one made for phase 1 dohc money has been a little tight for awhile tho, so im not going to commit. just let me know, however im sure someone else on here would be interested in a set as well.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

Im trying to find the material for it and going to be doing some tests on it to see if this laser cutter can even cut it... it would take some time. This material is damn expensive!

As for making a set for phase 1 dohc, if you can scan your manifold (not the gasket) on a scanner at 300dpi, I can cad up a drawing of it.
Cost would be like 40 shipped to whoever.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

if you can make a set out of quality material I will certainly be interested in a set.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Definitely a cool thing you've got going. I think if you made sets for both Phase 1 and Phase 2 DOHC and SOHC you could make some dough selling on NASIOC for half the price of grimmspeed. Trouble is you have to find a material that will hold up to fuel, heat cycling, alcohol, RTV sealant and also has to be resistant to heat transfer. Figure out where you can get the phenolic material from and you're set.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Dave_J
First Gear

Post by Dave_J »

A dense hard wood like teak would work I bet... But so would alumumn but it would be just like the stock manifold mating to the head, no different heat transfer.
Retired US ARMY SIGNAL CORP
65 B-Cuda Formula S, 78 Dodge Little Red Express Truck, 08 Suzuki Burgman 650 Super Scooter, 94 Legacy Touring wagon.
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

Seen a few people run a Throttle body spacer and the phnolic spacers and that combo made just enough room, think it was on newer ej's tho.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap