To desnorkel my car or not? Opinions?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

edgeofvamp
First Gear

To desnorkel my car or not? Opinions?

Post by edgeofvamp »

I own a 1991 Leggy N/A. I have been looking into getting rid of the snorkel in my car, just to get a little more throttle response in the lower R.P.M's.

Here is the conflict i am having, i live in Montana, at an elevation of 3100 feet and i only drive it in the winter when temps are constantly below 50 degrees( last winter was warm at -15 to 49 degrees). Almost forgot- i run 91 octane only in my car.

I have three options;
1. leave it alone- no improvement
2. Remove the snorkel and leave it open to the cut out and engine bay- improvement, but no idea what the temperature fluctuation would be
3. Remove the snorkel and place a spacer in between the cut out and the intake box-improvement and no unexpected temperature changes.

Would the engine bay actually get warm enough in the dead of winter to effect an open intake box?

Let me know what you think.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: To desnorkel my car or not? Opinions?

Post by Legacy777 »

By just removing the snorkel, you may see a little warmer temperatures from the engine bay, but I doubt it's going to be substantial, especially at those temperatures. You can easily use some foam insulation tape between the box and inner fender liner. Or you can just cut off the piece of the snorkel that goes into the air box. This will allow the air box to suck only from the fender. This is what I did originally before swapping air boxes to the newer setup.

I probably still even have that little elbow piece in the garage somewhere...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
edgeofvamp
First Gear

Post by edgeofvamp »

Thanks for your insight. The biggest difference i am going for is to reduce the restriction of air flow into the box.
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

I've done a lot of modifications to intakes over the years... I always end up going back to stock for one reason or another. So that's my recommendation. No K&N drop in either, I go for the cheap non oiled filter.

For quicker throttle response I'd recommend a cheap used lightweight crank pulley.
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

Where can one find a used lightweight crank pulley?
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

Parts shed on here, nasioc, rs25, eBay, craigslist