Fresh seafoam. now cant boost.

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

Fresh seafoam. now cant boost.

Post by Redlined »

Started driving the Subi again. Got tired of rolling up to the stoplights and having the engine die. (suspect IAC is dirty). Had a partial can of Seafoam left over from working in the project car.

Couldn't remember what vacuum line I was supposed to use, so I tried various hoses. The one that I found that had a decent amount of vacuum lead to a nipple on a single runner of the intake manifold, and thus, missed the throttle body, IAC, and to my mind would only provide seafoam to one cylinder.

anyways. I put a bit through the vacuum hose on the manifold. Tried a couple hoses on the silencer delete (coffee cup mod) and ended up pouring some into the return line of the BPV. When I had the engine running with the BPV return line off I noticed a fair amount of air from the BPV and the engine ran like crap unless I blocked it off. I'm guessing my BPV is bad.

So. I ran out of seafoam to experiment with (never did get to fog out the neighborhood) let the car idle a couple minutes and took her for a test run. I seem to have solved the "engine dies rolling up to stoplights" issue. But now if I get into boost more than... 3-5 pounds the engine completely dies until I let off the throttle or engine RPMs drop. There is no Stutter or backfire. If I jsut stay on the throttle Then I get about 1 second of accell, one second of dead engine, rinse, repeat.

ANYONE have any ideas? Im hoping the seafoam has stuck something shut and the issue will resolve itself as the seafoam gets drawn through the engine.
Dave

Re: Fresh seafoam. now cant boost.

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

Only thing I can think of is maybe a hose wasn't re-connected or a broken/cracked hose.
Last edited by SiCkSTi04 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I bet its the MAP sensor. Somehow its not connected or leaking. The turbo Legacy I bought about a month ago had the exact same thing (absoulutely no power when using more than a small amount of throttle) and it was a disconnected hose to the map sensor.

I always use the purge solenoid hose when introducing water or Seafoam into the engine.
Last edited by ciper on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The BPV is supposed to be open at idle or other times where engine vacuum is present, and is supposed to be closed at atmospheric pressure or boost.

Also, as for pouring seafoam in the engine, use PCV valve hose. You have to hold your thumb over the end of the hose so the engine will pull the seafoam in. It'll do it slowly, but works as a good central spot.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

sounds like you need to check your vacuum hoses
91ss sdn 5spd
taking the time to do it right = stress free fun
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

tried several things but cant shake the boost issue.

Today I pulled the intercooler and checked/tightened all the tubro hoses and line to the BPV. Swapped out the MAF sensor for a known good one (OEM one I pulled to isntall the autotek MAF. found one suspicious line but fixing it did nothing. My current work schedule leaves me little time during the week to work on her. (8 hour day. 1/2 hour drive to work and 1 hour 15 mintues of sitting in parking lot I-5 for a homeward commute(Nothing reaffirms my hatred for man kind than sitting in rush-hour traffic)).

Thinking it might be this screwy Boost controller. I can get 15lbs boost (regardless of MBC setting) when the engine is cold. once it hits operating temperature, forget it.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

Found a small broken vacume "T" under the airbox to a valve near the MBC, fixed it, wrong, nothing happened, replaced with a new "T" and rerouted the vac lines where they are supposed to be, Turned the MBC ALL the way down (It was turned WAY up for some reason). and now.... BOOOOOOOOOOooooooooost@

Problem solved! Thank you all for your input!
Dave