TB Coolant Bypass Mod Revisited and Updated

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

New92
Third Gear

TB Coolant Bypass Mod Revisited and Updated

Post by New92 »

So I stumbled across this mod while trolling as usual and I had a thought. The biggest negative about this mod is that it really does not create any appreciable power gains. Its working as an addendum to colder intake mods but it seems gains are negated by the heat soaked intake manifold. So here is my thought.

1) Add a intake manifold spacer with the proper materials needed to reduce the soak and super heated air created by the block. eg the $80 GrimmSpeed piece.

Now this is where Im gettin crazy so hold onto something! :lol:

2) Modify the coolant passage in the TB to actually cool it. Ive not thought it through completely but Im thinking that the factory passage could be cooled allowing even cooler air into the manifold. My initial thought was to tie into the AC line but that would be a huge PITA when you need to work on the TB itself.

Any thoughts?

-Ben
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: TB Coolant Bypass Mod Revisited and Updated

Post by Alphius »

Too much trouble, not enough benefit. 10* cooler intake air makes 1HP more as a rule of thumb. How would you get the intake air even 10* cooler? A better intercooler would be way easier and way more effective.

Good thinking on the intake spacers though. ;)
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I did the mod on my car and noticed a lot better idle but I also bypassed the IAC valve, I am also using the Phenolic spacers.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

By bypass the IAC do you mean you removed the coolant lines going to that as well?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Yeah, I just lput an adapter in the middle of the two hoses coming of the coolant crossover pipe so if I wanted to hook the lines back up to the throttle body and IAC, I could just take out the adapter and put the hoses back.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

and what made you decide to bypass the IAC? Also, you really got better idle?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Let me rephrase my earlier post:

Bypassing the cooling lines is a good mod for many reasons.
Attempting to run A/C through them was what my first reply was talking about. ;)
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Yeah I hear you about the AC bypass but what if you could cool those unused passages? Is it any worse an idea than an IC sprayer? It could be cheaper for sure since you would essentially have the hardware already? Really Im just spiballing here guys. I dont even have AC. I tore that out years ago. But I still think the concept at least has merrit.
1992 SS 5MT
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I tried just the throttle body at first and just wondered how the IAC valve would react without the coolant line hooked up. Before it would idle a little low almost feeling like it was gonna die and after it idles perfect around 750-800. It would be cool to be run some sort of cooler through it.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
Dave_J
First Gear

Post by Dave_J »

My thoughts on this is it would be far ahead to just isolate heat away. The next add on would be chilled water using a reservoir and dry ice but that reservoir must be outside of the passenger cabin as dry ice off gasses Co2 and that will displace cabin air. But to plumb in AC, I don't think you'd have enough capisity in the current system and even if you would upgrade the system, the amount of power loss to run it would be well over the gain.

Insulate, Isolate and cooler air are about the best you can get.
Retired US ARMY SIGNAL CORP
65 B-Cuda Formula S, 78 Dodge Little Red Express Truck, 08 Suzuki Burgman 650 Super Scooter, 94 Legacy Touring wagon.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Dave_J wrote:My thoughts on this is it would be far ahead to just isolate heat away. The next add on would be chilled water using a reservoir and dry ice but that reservoir must be outside of the passenger cabin as dry ice off gasses Co2 and that will displace cabin air. But to plumb in AC, I don't think you'd have enough capisity in the current system and even if you would upgrade the system, the amount of power loss to run it would be well over the gain.

Insulate, Isolate and cooler air are about the best you can get.
Very good points. Ive seen ac systems modified to corol all different portions of the intake and IC so this mod just got me thinking along those lines. Well now back to things I can and do understand. Lol.

BTW Dave. I see you were in signal corp. Do you mind if I ask when you were enlisted? Either way, thank you for your service Sir.
1992 SS 5MT
Dave_J
First Gear

Post by Dave_J »

New92 wrote: .....BTW Dave. I see you were in signal corp. Do you mind if I ask when you were enlisted? Either way, thank you for your service Sir.
Your welcome. Dec 1973 and stayed till Feb 1994. Enlisted, not officer. :-D Did alot of growing up in there.
Retired US ARMY SIGNAL CORP
65 B-Cuda Formula S, 78 Dodge Little Red Express Truck, 08 Suzuki Burgman 650 Super Scooter, 94 Legacy Touring wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The benefits in my mind are not necessarily power gains, it's throttle response.

You would need a secondary exchanger tied into the AC's evaporator box to be able to use the AC system to cool things. But you'll lose more HP from the compressor running than you will gain by cooling the TB

The IAC valve has a secondary valve/door in there that will close/open depending on the ambient temperature. Without coolant running through the IAC valve the valve will stay closed and not let as much air in until the heat from the engine bay causes it to open after a while.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm