MAF sensor cleaning, Please Help!

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

carlito
In Neutral

Re: MAF sensor cleaning, Please Help!

Post by carlito »

James,you were right about the genuine subaru MAF sensor, It is much better than the aftermarket one I imported which is very cheaply made. It made the car backfire badly. I pulled it out and put in my old maf and surprise it still works! Though not perfect. The cleaning didnt seem to remove the dirt which is still visible. I want to repeat the cleaning but this time I have a high pressure spray bottle that I intend to spray gently using 99% isopropyl alcohol. What i need to know is if the screen will snap back once I pry it off the MAF housing or will I need to reattach with some glue? I hope I dont break it while trying to pull it off.
James614 wrote:
carlito wrote: I have searched online and came across an aftermarket one going for 65 dollars and they confirmed to me its brand new. Is the deal too good? Should I be suspicious? Anyone here delt with a company known as Deluxe Auto Mall. Are they legit? The maf will cost me $93.5 shipped to my doorstep only downside is I have to wait almost two weeks to receive it becaise they dont have a faster shipping option. Please advice
I'd trust a 20-year-old junkyard genuine Subaru MAF sensor over any aftermarket MAF sensor any day of the week.

+1 on something else being the problem if you went through 3 other MAF sensors. Dirty or not, they don't just go bad that often. They're pretty resilient apart from the sensor element/wires being physically damaged, I know first-hand (mudding with a K&N filter... not the best idea).

If the ones you tried are dirty, just use a can of MAF sensor spray-cleaner, it works great and I guarantee you it won't damage the MAF (I've done it 4 times on my Touring Wagon). You can remove the screen with snap-ring pliers to clean it more thoroughly.
1989 Subaru Legacy Sedan (5 Spd, Fwd, EJ20)
carlito
In Neutral

Post by carlito »

Thanks Josh, guys, If what Alphius is saying about mileage then I must get an oxygen sensor asap. Mine is the part number 22690-AA-090 so what generic brand should I buy? Is it bosch?. I currently have a leaky steering rack and atf sometimes ends up on the exhaust could that foul the sensor? I Also dont have the socket that connects the sensor to the wiring harness can I just splice it directly or can I purchase the connectors online?.

My buddy wants me to have the two cats he removed from his STi could the rear one work in my car? If not I will just weld a straight pipe where the cat should be. I just cant imagine I have been driving all along with such an exhaust leak for years.hopefully I will notice better engine response and eliminate all the exhaust fumes in the cabin, as well as the raspy exhaust note.

Legacy777 wrote:Glad you got the car fixed and running. Sucks you bought a part you didn't need.

You can just weld a straight pipe in there.

As Alphius indicated, the O2 sensor is to make fine fueling adjustments so if you don't have one, your car would benefit from one. Generic type O2 sensors work and can be spliced into the old O2 sensor wiring harness to keep "plug & play" compatibility.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is the conenctor for the O2 sensor still on the chassis harness wiring? If so, I'd suggest buying a generic or Subaru O2 sensor with the plug so you can just connect it up. They do make them, and if you can find a Bosch one, that should work fine.

As for the leaking steering rack, it's only leaking on the outside of the exhust I assume, so it can't affect the sensor.

You could put one of the catalytic converters on your car if you want. It would just need to be welded up properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

carlito wrote:What i need to know is if the screen will snap back once I pry it off the MAF housing or will I need to reattach with some glue? I hope I dont break it while trying to pull it off.
You shouldn't pry the screen off. If you take out the snap-ring that holds it in place, it comes right out and then slides right back in. If for some reason it doesn't come off, don't force it and just clean through it. The screen certainly isn't necessary but works well in the case of solid debris coming through the air filter (happened to me mudding, twice).

Good luck with the cleaning. I'm not sure what you could have on there being so stubborn. Also keep in mind that a little visible residue doesn't necessarily reduce your performance. While it definitely helps to be 100% clean, I would measure your fuel economy after the O2 sensor install and try to gauge the power/response. If those look/feel fine, your MAF is probably fine despite a small bit of dirt.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
carlito
In Neutral

Post by carlito »

I actually found a connector that came with my current engine but am not sure if it will work. The old engine didnt have a connector to the harness. The new engine has a cylindrical female connector on the wirring harness but looking at pictures of the O2 sensor for my car It looks like it should plug into a square connector. If the generic lambda comes with a female connector then It would make things easier, otherwise I will have to ferret for the connector in junkyards.
Legacy777 wrote:Is the conenctor for the O2 sensor still on the chassis harness wiring? If so, I'd suggest buying a generic or Subaru O2 sensor with the plug so you can just connect it up. They do make them, and if you can find a Bosch one, that should work fine.

As for the leaking steering rack, it's only leaking on the outside of the exhust I assume, so it can't affect the sensor.

You could put one of the catalytic converters on your car if you want. It would just need to be welded up properly.
carlito
In Neutral

Post by carlito »

Ok thanks for the advice, I will definatly get me a oxygen sensor. Even though the car has been running fairly well without the O2 sensor the throttle response is not as sharp especially on a cold morning before the engine warms up.
James614 wrote:
carlito wrote:What i need to know is if the screen will snap back once I pry it off the MAF housing or will I need to reattach with some glue? I hope I dont break it while trying to pull it off.
You shouldn't pry the screen off. If you take out the snap-ring that holds it in place, it comes right out and then slides right back in. If for some reason it doesn't come off, don't force it and just clean through it. The screen certainly isn't necessary but works well in the case of solid debris coming through the air filter (happened to me mudding, twice).

Good luck with the cleaning. I'm not sure what you could have on there being so stubborn. Also keep in mind that a little visible residue doesn't necessarily reduce your performance. While it definitely helps to be 100% clean, I would measure your fuel economy after the O2 sensor install and try to gauge the power/response. If those look/feel fine, your MAF is probably fine despite a small bit of dirt.