EJ22T Aftermarket Intake

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turboboxer92
First Gear

EJ22T Aftermarket Intake

Post by turboboxer92 »

I have a 92 Turbo legacy and i wanted to replace the horrible restrictive intake on it to get better flow for the turbo but i cant seem to find what im looking for. Does anyone know what will fit on this i saw one by weapon r which was very nice but i dont want to buy something that doesnt fit. What do you guys have on your legacy turbos?
mike-tracy

Re: EJ22T Aftermarket Intake

Post by mike-tracy »

Apexi makes an intake piece for ej20g's that work on our car too. You want to fabricate something that sucks in air from the fender hole, and not in the engine bay, as the hot air there will definitely hurt performance.

Additionally, search for the "coffee cup mod" which replaces the large intake "silencer" for more performance (and enhanced turbo noise!). I think the general consensus around here is the stock intake (with the coffee cup and maybe a "desnorkel") is more than good enough for 99% of folks on here, but I don't fault anyone for wanting to personalize.

Happy searching, and welcome to the forum!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

thanks for the welcome and i just came into owning this legacy after prying from my mothers deathgrip haha but yeah wanted to know what can replace the coffee can with something compatable also i plan on trying to reach 300 bhp. I just cant figure out what to replace the coffee can with that has the appropriate hose inlets and outlets for the turbo ill do some more digging thanks again!!!!!!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Unfortunately, there are not many, if any aftermarket suppliers making parts for the first gen turbo Legacy. A lot of the stuff we use is meant for other Subarus. While a lot of it is compatible, Subaru has the knack of making small changes here and there, so you have to be a little cautious and do your homework on what will fit.

A general comment on your goal for 300 hp. There is a pretty decent difference for these cars between 300 crank hp and 300 wheel hp.....not really in terms of actual hp, but in terms of the supporting mods/systems to support the additional power. Unfortunately the ECU's for these cars don't really allow for huge power gains from bolt ons. You can certainly get some power gains with more boost and bolt on's, but for much more power, you need to address the engine managment. The Rob Tune ECU is a great option and should put you above 200 hp with supporting mods. There's a thread with more info on the Rob Tune ECU in the electrical forum sticky.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm