Bad MAF?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Raquon
First Gear

Bad MAF?

Post by Raquon »

I usually can find my answers without asking but i need a second opinion.
Last night a friend of mine was making an effort to be nice and wash the ol' legacy.
He ended up power washing the engine bay and it ran a bit funky today.

For starters at idle it sounds like i have cams and the idle is jumpy under 1k rpm upon startup. The jumpy idle reminded me of a dirty IACV.

I did some poking around and pulled a spark plug boot and low and behold the boot was wet and so was the plug. Cleaned that up started it and it seemed to smooth out at idle. Then i go to drive and she sputters like crazy at low rpm.Feels like it wants to fall flat on its face. Up to normal driving speeds its fine. Feeling like its ok again i boosted down a on ramp and about 5500 rpm she stopped like i hit fuel cut. I am aware that this engine has a higher redline than that.

CHECK ENGINE light isn't on

My car is a 91 sport
stock vf11
3'' turbo back
nothing out of the ordinary

I do not have an O2 sensor, i never have had one and never had an issue like this.

I am wondering if its the MAf or something else i over looked
i have a metal housed MAF
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Bad MAF?

Post by cj91legss »

I would pull the charge pipe and see if there is water drops in it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

With a stock air box nothing should have got in the MAF. Never the less, you can pull it off, spray it down with MAF cleaner, let it dry for a good while, and replace it just for posterity's sake.

Did you check all the other spark plug boots? They are kind of notorious for catching water like that. Also check to see that the contacts on the boot or the plug aren't rusted/corroded at all.

Also, might be worth checking you vacuum lines over. Maybe something got pushed loose. I'd pay special attention to the MAP sensor and pressure exchange solenoid on the passenger side behind the airbox.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Did you dry out all the spark plugs? It will run like crap and won't rev if water is still left in there.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Raquon
First Gear

Post by Raquon »

Whelp took everything apart, replaced every single vac line, spark plug and wires. I found that my mad sensor box did have a crack in it. She runs good now. I am putting my money on the circuit board on the maf being wet but I won't know since I went OCD and replaced a ton of stuff. It needed it anyway. Thanks for your input guys .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk