My car is eating MAFs...? Soo lost right now

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

alexandermf
Third Gear

My car is eating MAFs...? Soo lost right now

Post by alexandermf »

So after a month or so of shitty intermittent hesitation issues in my Tleg I've diagnosed the issue as the maf sensor. It starts to make my injectors go static and spit out flat 10.0 afr readings before I'm even in full boost. I can have mbc set at 12 or 8 lbs and still as the needle is barely reaching peak boost I'm hesitating with static injectors.

So in the last two weeks I've gone through 3 good working mafs. I know they are good cuz they work on Chris Tleg fine and when I put them on my car it runs amazing with no hesitation and perfect afr numbers in or out of boost. A day or two goes by and my car is back to static readings and horrible hesitation. I have no clue if I'm getting weak old unlucky mafs that crap out or if I have another problem like wiring making the mafs go bad or bad injectors or just plain old bad luck but I'm tired of replacing them and wanna get to the bottom of this issue.

Any advice or suggestions is welcomed. I'm starting to think crazy and think stupid little things like an old crappy air filter is letting debris in my air box and hitting/damaging the maf sensor?

Stock air box to maf to coffee cup to silicon elbow to turbo is my setup. Never had his much trouble going through mafs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alexandermf
Third Gear

Re: My car is eating MAFs...? Soo lost right now

Post by alexandermf »

I'm planning on going full standalone within next month or so and that'll rid a lot of problems for my car uncle using the stupid maf, but id like to fix the problem for time being as running hella rich is expensive on the gas budget

alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Just used my last known good maf. This one is out of a Tleg unlike the other 3 which were from the 90-91 na m/t which work fine. Also just replaced a new air filter and tightened up all the silicon hoses from the box to the turbo inlet. I guess we will see if this one lasts or if it craps out it a couple days.

macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Time for a standalone ECU and the speed density setup...bye bye MAF ;-)
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Figured I'd update this. Went through 3 unlucky na mafs, bought a used Tleg one and has been working flawlessly. Also replaced my air filter which was disgusting with tiny holes in it here n there.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Why were you using an NA MAF?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

The na mafs from the 90-91 m/t came with the same metal maf we can use on our cars

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just to make a comment, the oiled filters aren't really good to use with MAF sensors. If they're over-oiled, which most of the time they are, it can cause the MAF sensor to fail prematurely.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm