Cold air duct fan?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jmfpEJ22T
First Gear

Cold air duct fan?

Post by jmfpEJ22T »

This is probably stupid but I was thinking about how I could get cold air to my pod filter without having to relocate it. So I got a strange idea. What if I put a high cfm ducting blower fan in the hole to the inside of the fender so that it sends cold air to my filter as well as helping lower under hood temperature around the intercooler. Again this is just a thought but it seems like it would work.
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: Cold air duct fan?

Post by MConte05 »

Not worth the effort and complexity. It's a Legacy that you probably daily drive. I wouldn't even consider something like that on my race car.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

With all the effort involved in forcing air through that hole, couldn't you easily just move the filter out the hole? Sounds like a questionable solution at best, and more effort than just pulling air from there in the first place.

Also, the intercooler is too far in the bay to really be affected by what your talking about. Best bet to keep that cool is block radiant heat (manifold spacers and turbo blanket/coating), and improving airflow through the scoop (to include sealing it against the inter cooler so more air flows through and not around).
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

I'll post a picture up tonight of my race car setup. Air duct from the bumper feeding the intake area. IC sealed to the hood and a nice turbo blanket with a wrapped downpipe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The stock intake setup IS a cold air intake. Not trying to discourage your creativity, just saving you some time and a effort and probably money.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jmfpEJ22T
First Gear

Post by jmfpEJ22T »

Hey it's no big deal. Just something stupid I came up with after having a few beers lol