yep. another idle thread.....

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bcmaxx
First Gear

yep. another idle thread.....

Post by bcmaxx »

My 93 2.2 na-t a/t is having idle issues. After sitting 2 months the iac must have been stuck. Out of desperation.. i adjusted the throttle stop screw. (Idiot move) i cleaned the iac and set the screw back to where i thought it was... now the car either idles high like 1500 or too low like almost stalling on pedal lift. Low enough for the torque convertor to stall. How can i reset things back to normal. The only time it idles properly is in park. If it idles too high or too low i put it in park and it settles where it should.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: yep. another idle thread.....

Post by Legacy777 »

So you adjusted the idle stop screw on the throttle body? If so the TPS is likely out of adjustment which has the idle switch in it. You can try adjusting the TPS's idle switch per the third scan in the TPS set, but I've known people to just replace the throttle body with one that has not been adjusted.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... sting1.jpg
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... sting2.jpg
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... sting3.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Thanks! my tps was never ever touched, and worked perfect prior to me touching the screw, so i adjusted the screw so 0.030 was the idle switch on /off point. worked like a charm. thanks
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

More problems. Intermittent super lean idle. When lean vacuum goes to -15hg. Normally 19-20hg @ idle. Leans out so bud it will misfire. If i blip the throttle it will go way rich. And sweep back and forth rich lean rick lean and settle super lean. And other times perfect idle -19 to -20 vacuum and ideal afr at idle. Time for a new iac? Ive cleaned it several times now
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

or at least a known good one from the parts section. they are pretty expensive new. pulling one from a wrecking yard has more often then not yielded IAC's that were no better if not worse then the original. Ebay has loads of used ones in the 60-80 range which is still pretty steep considering you still don't know if it will work for sure.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

TurnNburn wrote:or at least a known good one from the parts section. they are pretty expensive new. pulling one from a wrecking yard has more often then not yielded IAC's that were no better if not worse then the original. Ebay has loads of used ones in the 60-80 range which is still pretty steep considering you still don't know if it will work for sure.
I bought a new subaru one. I noticed the little slider piece that opens and closes has like a green plastic coating on it, the original when it was off was shiny metal . friggen spendy!!!!!
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Still battling crap running.....i took a vid Image

It will idle up then idle down when it idles up vacuum is a bit higher when it idles down vacuum drops and goes pretty lean. Not sure what to think. This was right after iac replacement with oem new iac and ecu reset
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Did you calibrate the iac correctly?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

cj91legss wrote:Did you calibrate the iac correctly?
probably not!? how is that done? I just did an ecu reset , did an idle relearn like how we do the 05+ cars
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I think this should help you diagnose the IAC and make sure it's values are set correctly.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... C_Diag.zip
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT