Sticky Throttle

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

valpaval15
In Neutral

Sticky Throttle

Post by valpaval15 »

Car: 1993 Legacy TW

Problem: I have been having an intermittent problem where the gas pedal will get really stiff and then get stuck and accelerate. Only by pressing in the clutch would the gas pedal come free, or by letting it accelerate for sometimes up to 5 seconds(only on the freeway). It would be very rare, now almost a month later it does this to the point of undriveable.

Solutions Already Attempted: I've tried spraying wd40 on the pedal hinge, on the cable in the cabin and under the hood. I've also sprayed some on the throttle linkage and on the butterfly hinge. The cable is not snagging, and the butterfly is free and the bore is completely clean.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Sticky Throttle

Post by rallyak »

Mine has been sticking also, I'm sure it's the cable. The TB and peddle is not sticking so the only item left is the cable. Cables are kind of funny, it may feel smooth when it not under a load but when loaded it will hang up.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
valpaval15
In Neutral

Post by valpaval15 »

Well I'm willing to try changing out the cable I just feel like that's not the problem. But hey, you can't solve problems with feelings, I'll grab a cable from the dealer, see if that helps.
valpaval15
In Neutral

Post by valpaval15 »

Well I can't get one from the dealer, just called and they said its discontinued, where else would I get new one, other than online?
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I would find one in a wrecking yard, autos would be best. I robbed one off a low mileage auto but haven't installed it yet.
Charles

valpaval15
In Neutral

Post by valpaval15 »

rallyak wrote:I would find one in a wrecking yard, autos would be best. I robbed one off a low mileage auto but haven't installed it yet.
Can it be off any 1st gen legacy? Or does it have to be off a SS or TW? Cause if it has to be off a turbo model, good luck finding one in California. I had to drive all the way from North California to Southern Nevada to buy my TW, let alone find parts for one.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I believe any first and second gen will work but not 100%. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will chime in.
Charles

valpaval15
In Neutral

Post by valpaval15 »

rallyak wrote:I believe any first and second gen will work but not 100%. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will chime in.
Well you're definitely right about 1st gen cables being the same. Found one off an auto and it works perfect now, no more sticking. Thanks for the help, didn't think it would be the cable, glad I was wrong. It was only $11.99 plus tax from the local pick n pull.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Nice to hear, now I need to change mine.
Charles