Intake manifold questions.

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

al.goosr
In Neutral

Intake manifold questions.

Post by al.goosr »

Howdy there fellas, anybody know what intake manifolds have better flow? I have the stock one on my 97 ej22na that doesn't have the egr valve on it and I can aquire the manifold off of a 94 ej22 that does have the egr. I don't care for the egr If I'm going to get this manifold ill ghetto delete it with a 1/8" plate cut out to fit and some Right stuff for sealing it air tight. My question is which intake manifold has better air flow? My 97 is flat and the 94 has more of a curve in the middle before they join for the throttle body mating plate

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intake manifold questions.

Post by Legacy777 »

What heads are you planning to utilize? Will this be for a non-turbo or turbo build?

I think both intake manifolds are going to be pretty similar. The heads are usually the restriction in flow. You will need to match the manifold to the heads so I think determining which heads you plan to use should be the first decision point and then see which heads physically bolt up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

So it's on my 97 legacy wagon 2.2l n/a so they are the ej22 heads that are In the transition year, single port exhaust

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Honestly, I'd just keep the 97 intake. I don't know that you're going to see any major difference.....and I don't know if there are interchangeable between the different style heads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Which heads have better flow/less restrictions? I'm assuming that it's the phase2 dual exhaust port ej22 heads that came with the MY 98 and up if I'm not mistaken, or are the pre 95-96 heads when the engine was still non-interference?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't have any data to support it, but the searching I did online people indicated the single exhaust port heads actually flowed better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Huh. Interesting. You'd think that the dual port would have better flow due to less restrictive properties ie wider/more volume of exhaust. So what about ej25 intake manifold/injectors and whatnot? If it lined up and bolts right on than would there be a performance gain due to bigger injectors, bigger intake ports/volume?

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Read up: Phase 1 ('90-'98ish) vs. 2 ('99+) = https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/to ... r-engines/

Tl;Dr: Phase 1 EJ22E IM (intake manifold) and EJ25D IM don't match up and fuel rails aren't either. Read above on EJ251/3

And the only '94 IM that would have EGR would be on an EJ18 (for the USA, anyway). It'll bolt to your EJ22, if you wanted.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Forsure, Yeah i had found out the hard way that the ej25 IM wouldn't bolt up. Had an extra intake gasket sitting around so I tried to match it up and it was way off.

And that's odd about 94 being an ej18 because I had purposely looked at the stamp on top of the block right under the power steering pump and it was stamped ej22. So if what you say is correct than the engine was transplanted.

Does anyone know if the 96 legacy wagon LSi engine is different from the normal L trim or what are the differences? Is it just that the LSi has a sunroof or what? Thanks fellas

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

The '96 and '97 LSi version/trim had the EJ25D, too. I thought LSi was wagons only but site below shows sedans, too...Hmmm, still learning. :-)

CArs101.com has many of the older models for more info....look for Archives on the left side.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Interesting. Think that ej25d is worth 400$

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

"Interesting. Think that ej25d is worth 400$" ?

Mileage, HG done, maintenance history? I paid $200 for heads and IM to put on my 2.2 NA-T..so maybe.

And they're hard(er) to find than 10 years ago for sure.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

ej25d's are the initial reason Subaru is famous for blown headgaskets! Keep your ej22, sure you're down on HP, but you're talking about swapping out Subaru's most reliable engine for it's least.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Yeah ive read everywhere that the ej22 is the best engine as in reliability, mines tired though that's Forsure. Had just pulled the engine a few weeks ago and replaced all of the seals/gaskets other than the valve oil seals which I'm kinda beating myself up over it now.

she's almost at 307k miles and just today I started having more issues. Misfires on #4 than it threw the knock sensor circuit malfunction code and it turned up being a wiring issue, i fixed the connection and now its misfiring on cylinders #1 and #2. I Also started to smell gas fumes inside the cabin. My OBD2 scanner says I'm getting roughly 25mpg on average but only about 120-140 miles per full tank.

I'm confused and this lovely little wagon is starting to give me a headache. Or maybe thats the fumes inside the cabin. if anyone can point me in the right direction or ANY direction id hella appreciate it. Thanks fellas

arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Clearly fuel is going missing somewhere that the computer doesn't know about (i.e. somewhere other than the injectors). You've got a rusted or leaking fuel line somewhere.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Yeah I had traced the fuel lines from the filter all the way back to the tank and nothing really jumped out and screamed heres the leak and for safe measure i took bedliner in a can and coated the lines running back and it still smells rough/bad gas mileage. I pulled injectors and fuel rail off of a 2000 forester ej25, would I be able to get away with swapping them out with my factory fuel rail/injectors? Thanks

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Unlikely on the swap as those TOP feeds use a different setup vs. the side-feed of the <'99 Subarus....but there may be adapters fit the IM?

On the early USDM (US domestic market) WRX they'd leak under the IM where the rubber hoses connect to the hard lines. I'm getting old, but seems that yours are all hard lines from the fuel filter connections>Fuel injectors. Maybe check resistance on the injectors -10-12 (?) Ohms. One may have failed and dumping fuel?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

I'll go and check real quick, let you know in about 5-10 minutes

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

11 ohm on #4, I had gotten misfires on 1&2 the other day but i beleive that was from my knock sensor wire getting stripped from the connector

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

I bought a felpro injector oring kit and it only came with 4 orings that I beleive are for the injector/rail connection and none of the others. I want to pull the injectors and swap #2 and #4 to see if its the injector thats faulty but i know for a fact that if i pull them it will more than likely destroy the other orings on the injectors

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

You have no CEL, correct? If you do what are the current, today, codes - not those from a week ago>>> not to be an ARSE but online forum posters are notorious for stating 'Yeah, my CEL's been on for a year and it's nothing important', which isn't helpful. :-)
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Another possibility is that I got piston ring failure which would suck ass, going to do a compression test when I get a chance to run to my shop

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Side-feeds are a PITA but can be removed - intact. Spray some WD-40 around them as you work on them to get 'em out...slow and deliberate.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Only code as of today would be p0304 which we all know is cylinder #4 misfire. Havent gotten any injector circuit malfunction codes or anything else.

al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Could it be maybe the pressure regulator or fuel pump is going bad? I had the same code last year then after it got cold and I had pulled the engine to reseal the oil seperator plate behind the flywheel I cleaned everything up good as I could and I never got the code again until this last week or so. I did the HG and mostly every other seal/gasket not to long ago other than valve oil seals and when i was readjusting the valve lash #4 was pretty tight so I made sure it was in spec before I installed the valve covers and dropped the engine back in.