Black goo around throttle plate

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Black goo around throttle plate

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok guys.......looking for some info here. I need to know what and where I can get some of the black sealant goo that is around the throttle plate on the throttle plate. It's used to help seal the throttle plate. It doesn't set up. It's almost like a grease, but a sealant.

I REALLY need to find something that is similar to what is on there, as the throttle body that is currently on the car has a leak, and the TPS is horrible....which is making the car horrible to drive.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Have you asked a dealer about it? Maybe it's something tha tthey have and can give you some more information on.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nope.....they don't know.....even when I bring another TB in and show them the black stuff.....they don't know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

submannz
In Neutral

Post by submannz »

Are you sure, I have never heard of this. It isn't just the blow by from the block?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

well, I did such a good job cleaning my TB that I removed all of the black stuff not knowing any better :shock: I have yet to finish my motor so I dont know how this will effect its performance or even drivability

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

submannz wrote:Are you sure, I have never heard of this. It isn't just the blow by from the block?
I'm positive. I have several throttle bodies I snagged from a junkyard. They have the same stuff on it, plus the line or end point is perfectly straight. Blowby wouldn't be this way.

Plus I confirmed it from a subaru technical trainer. He's the one who said the black goo was put on there to prevent carbon from building up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Josh is correct. Blowby goes through the PCV valve which is past the TB altogether.

I'm just gonna guess and say good ole silicone gasket sealant. Maybe??? I can't speak from experience on this one, however...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

However the PCV valve is tied into the lines that feed back into the intake....so oil is definitely a possibility, and for the turbo guys, the addition of a catch can of some sorts would be advisable.

It's not silicone based. This stuff does not harden. It's almost like an anerobic (sp) sealant.....but that's still not the case. I really don't have a clue what it is....I sure would like to know though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The crank case chunks are the cause of bad idles in our vehicles! Under idle the vacuum created is high and the idle controller sucks as much air as possible from the crank, causing it to get all gunked up.
Grounded1
In Neutral

Post by Grounded1 »

What might work would be a fuel tank sealant they use on aircraft. It cures to the consistancy of a very hard rubber. If you want to try it let me know and I'll send you some. If your interested contact me at patxpat@juno.com

Pat
Grounded1
91 2.2 Legacy Wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hey Pat,

Thanks for the suggestion. When it cures what is it like? Is it tacky, smooth, sticky?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Grounded1
In Neutral

Post by Grounded1 »

Its hard but gives if you were to press it with your finger nail. Harder than the silicone you buy in a tube over the counter. Its a two part mix, it sets up to tack free in about 30 minutes. Its totally cured in a couple hours. If you want I could mix up a sample and mail it to you for evaluation. Its used for fuel tanks, windows, even to fill small damage in the engine inlet. Its very versatile. Let me know.

Pat
91 2.2 Legacy Wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmm.....if you don't mind mixing up a small sample on a piece of paper or whatever that'd be cool. I'm definitely interested in seeing what this stuff is like.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nubs
First Gear

Post by nubs »

Hey Josh, do you think this would work.

http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp ... m_no=25249[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

hmmm.....not sure......

See the trick to this stuff is that it must not be sticky when dry. It needs to be almost grease base or slippery like it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Grounded1
In Neutral

Post by Grounded1 »

I'll mix some up for your checkout. I see what your saying about it having to be friction free. I've never went into the throttle body but could this coating have been a teflon coating? Give me a day to mix up a sample for you. There are also several sealants available to me, you've given me a reason to check them all out. How thick of a coating was it? It sounds like it's going to be tough to get a uniform coating in there.
91 2.2 Legacy Wagon
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I made the mistake of removing this stuff from my TB in an effort to "clean" it out well. I had no idea what it was but it was on there really good. It looked alot like flat black latex paint that was brushed in by hand. Almost like it was meant to run in a little and fill gaps. As far as what it is I have no clue but I'll let you know if my engine runs without it being there. lol

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It wasn't very thick. It's possible it was some teflon coating, or something. I've even asked a few subie techs, and they didn't know.

It's sort of moot point now since I just swapped TB's, but it'd still be nice to know if there is a product out there that would suffice.

The paint thing.....I even tried model paint per a suggestion from RC-engineering since they do TB boring. It helped seal it, but it was tacky and would cause the TB to stick.....so that was no good.

It needs to almost stay "wet"
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Grounded1
In Neutral

I see the light

Post by Grounded1 »

Hey L777,
Sorry I'm late getting back to you. Things got a little dark on this end of the world for a couple of days. Anyway, I decided to sample every sealant we have. I'm laying them out on paper and a small piece of aluminum sheet metal. When I've done them all I'll throw them in a bubble pack envelope and send it to you. I hope there will be one you can use. I've read the follow up posts. Someone I work with claims a paint he knows of would work. It's POR15. It's expensive stuff. Their web site is www.por15.com . The way I see it is the sealant is free. Thats first. From what you said I assume that this sealant (when gone) creates a larger clearance between the throttle plate and throttle body. Is that right? The sealant was part of the seal around the throttle plate(when closed)?

P
grounded1

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're correct the black goo took of some of the clearance between the TB wall and the plate.

The suby master tech I talked to said that coating was on there to keep carbon from building up, but I think it also acted like a sealant.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Grounded1
In Neutral

Goo to go-

Post by Grounded1 »

I've got the samples. They might be what your looking for. Hell, it might be what were all eventually going to be looking for. If you give a place to send this stuff I send it to you to check out. Let me know.

Pat
91 2.2 Legacy Wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

cool, I'll shoot ya an email with my contact info.

I appreciate ya taking the time to do this.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Is it like the same kind of stuff that's on the rear lights and that plastic thing inside the door to help it seal up?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

no, it's not a sticky type sealant. It's more like a grease. It's on the throttle body, so it must not be tacky or sticky to cause the butterfly to stick.

Pat sent me some samples of sealants, unfortunately they weren't the right type of stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT