wrx intake manifold swap?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nate S
First Gear

wrx intake manifold swap?

Post by Nate S »

So I am trying to figure out how to get some bigger injectors, and have access to a whole wrx intake manifold ( w injectors , fuel rail ) so my question is has anyone tried this? since we cant run the wrx injectors and teh other easily available injectors because of our side feed issue I figured this would solve the issue by just converting over.

anyone done this or looked into it?

thanks,
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I can see one reason why it won't work already, there is no place to mount our coilpack on a WRX intake manifold because the WRX has the coil-on-plug setup...

And I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in head design would not allow the manifolds to be interchanged...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

ok good point on the coilpack issue, but that is fixable. dunno on the head design , which is the big question. maybe I will go to the junkyard tomorrow and see if I can tell a diff .
thx

nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
submannz
In Neutral

Post by submannz »

Yes I have done this with my car and everything worked fine, but if you are in America can't promise anything because they do so many things different to anyone else
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

You have a liberty turbo? If so you have an ej20 whereas we in the us got an ej22T , I am not sure of the difference yet, still deciding if I am going to try this or not, as I am getting ready to make some fuel rails for the subies anyway.

thx.
nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

What about the secondary throtle plates, just leave them open I guess? The TB is bigger I think but will the it plug into the Legacy harness, and run right? Does the WRX run high impeadance injectors? Getting a fuel rail for regular bosch injectors in the Legacy would be the way to do it. :D Less to wory about and almost unlimited sizes of injectors.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

that is the plan, I am in the design stage right now, I am making sure to not forget about the legacy guys in my products ;)

Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

One thing about the WRX manifold is it would give you more room for a top mount. I forgot about that.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

that is one of the best points about doing it, dunno, stil may try it , if for nothing else just to know if it can be done or not.
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
subiekid
First Gear

Post by subiekid »

there was a thread about this on nasioc, i think serious was researching it. ya might talk to him.
1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Ruby Mica - Turbo - EJ22T transplant
submannz
In Neutral

Post by submannz »

Didn't worry about the secondard throttle butterfly in the inlet manifold
subiekid
First Gear

Post by subiekid »

you could use the intake for a wrx. lots of aftermarket ones for them. i woudl like this because my swap resulted in a funky intake.
subiekid
First Gear

Post by subiekid »

anyone find out any info one this?

would i be able to use the tb off the turbo legacy manifold?
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Nate did you try the swap yet???
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

the only difference from your ej22t and our ej20t, is that ours comes out with twin cam (per head) and yours is single cam, the block should be the same as it is only the stroke that is increased for your 2.2ltrs.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
subiekid
First Gear

Post by subiekid »

this guy did it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=426987

he is using the ej22t block and a wrx manifld
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

He doesn't say what heads he's using, though...
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
greggearhead
In Neutral

Post by greggearhead »

I don't suppose anyone has intake manifold gaskets from both engines they could compare?

I am a newbie - not familiar with the secondary throttles on the WRX manifold. Is it a resonance tuning chamber thing or for smoother response like in the Suzuki GSXRs, etc.

Thanks.
Check out my auctions! [url=http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=greggearhead]my auctions[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think those are the tumble generator valves.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

Just a small point on the block differences, if its got a longer stroke then is the block the same length? I know VW blocks differ in deck heights on longer stroke engines, maybe the same for scoobies?
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
greggearhead
In Neutral

Post by greggearhead »

VW Engines (air cooled ones) generally use different pistons for stock storke or longer stroke. The piston pin (wrist pin) height is different. Basically, if you have a piston for a crankshaft that has a stock stroke of 80mm, and you put a crankshaft in that has a stroke of 90mm, the piston will go 5mm further up in the bore and down in the bore - the 5mm up may have it sticking out of the cylinders and slamming into the head. Anytime I have run into changing stroke, new pistons were required.
Check out my auctions! [url=http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=greggearhead]my auctions[/url]
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

vrg3 wrote:He doesn't say what heads he's using, though...
He's using the EJ20 heads on that car...Fortunately Subaru's are like legos and you can do that! :D But I can't offer any help on the question on the table. I am guessing the EJ20 manifold would fit, but can't tell you for sure.
My GF is visiting from out of town with her '04WRX. I'll see if I can take some measurements off of both cars before she leaves in a few days. Eventually, I will put v5 STi EJ20 heads on mine, but it would be nice to know if just the manifold will swap over anyways...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

Lol greg, I meant watercooled engines, never been near the aircooled ones what you say makes sense but never saw any different piston options for those so forgot you can do that :? .
Could be interesting to try a 2.2 short block with my 2L UK spec heads if I ever blow it up, it could do with a bit more low end kick.
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
greggearhead
In Neutral

Post by greggearhead »

Heh heh. DOA, most of my experience is in H20 VW, too. I have a set of forged 8 Valve pistons for a 1.8: 83mm bore, for 1.8 rods with 86.4mm stroke. Now, I picked up a 2.0 liter crank (92.8mm stroke) so those pistons won't work unless I use shorter rods (not usually a good solution).

There are 2.0 liter VW motors (82.5 x 92.8) that are the same deck height as a shorter stroke 1.8 as well as the later ones which have a taller deck height and now the latest ones are shorter again. Rod length and wrist pin location change.

I am sure someone has done it, but it would be cool to see if a 2.5 crank would fit (clearancing required?) in the 2.2T bottom end. Some custom pistons to account for the longer stroke and you are good to go.
Last edited by greggearhead on Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

The 2.5L phase 1 crank is supposed to be a direct drop into the 22t

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT