wrx intake manifold swap?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Ok,
I did some looking at my car and the GF's. It is hard to measure around the various wires, but it looks like it might mate up based on my rough measurements and bolt patterns. But there would definitely be some challenges. You would need to address the ignition and moving or upgrading that since it mounts right on top of the Legacy's manifold. Furthermore, our throttle cables pull from the opposite side of the manifold. It looks like you could work around that and find a way t o place them in the stock location, not have to change the cable length and just not use the cast mounts on the EJ20. But the most telling thing I found it the distance to wall from the throttle body is nearly identical on the 2 vehicles at about 13inches. I don't honestly know if you would gain any space with the EJ20 manifold. I am getting the pics hosted and will post them later today so people can draw their own conclusions and make comments...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

And

Sorry the WRX pic isn't a little better. I had the GF snap it and didn't check what she captured while I was fiddling under the hood of the LEgacy...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
1stgenleg
In Neutral

Post by 1stgenleg »

I read somewhere on here that a person put ej25 heads on the ej22t. it makes me think that that it would be a pretty clean swap to do the intake manifold. though i wonder if they might be different because the legacy's engine is closed deck and the wrx is open. may mean different width of the heads. someone correct me if im wrong. im still new to the scooby world.
EJ22t Legacy and me: love at first sight.
subiekid
First Gear

Post by subiekid »

would the legacy TB fit on the wrx manifold?
1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Ruby Mica - Turbo - EJ22T transplant
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

yes, the WRX manifold does bolt on. in fact, it can be put on backwards, so the throttle body is where the alternator is. I think this will be the setup I do, for running a FMIC. I'm taking out the AC, and putting the alternator in the AC compressors place.

The advantage of the WRX manifold, is that the center doesnt angle up as steep as the EJ22 manifold does, so when turned around, the TB doesnt hit the hood. and sits a bit lower too (thus more room for a TMIC)

And the whole injector availability issue as well.
I also understand the runners are a larger diameter internally, which is a debate on its own.

I havnt done any gasket comparesons yet (I've been getting my info on this swap from my boss] but I'm gonna assume some port matching will be involved. So I suppose some new head gaskets, and maybe a ARP bolt set shoud get ordered.

cheers
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Or here's another possible option. I pulled this image of an older WRX and you can see the throttle cables run on the same side as the EJ22's. The thing I don't know is if the early WRX's also ran side feed injectors and whether or not we would gain anything from this swap...This also appears to be an export model with LHD, so it also depends on whether there was difference between JDM and export cars...I'll see what else I can dig up...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Funny, his route is similar to the one Im currently on. I should talk to him directly.

I know that the EJ22T block with WRX heads and WRX intake manifold is a possible solution. I also know that the EJ22t block with WRX heads and EJ22T intake manfiold will work so the questioned combo should be possible, not taking electronics into account.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Ok,
So I have made a mad leap of faith regarding these ideas. This weekend I purchased a v6 STi manifold, throttle body and 480cc injectors. Oh, and a VF28 :D . It will be several months before I really get to do anything with this stuff. In the spring once I have a garage, I may experiment with it a bit on the stock heads and see what might work.

By then the RS will be driving again, so it won't matter if the Legacy sits for weeks at a time. It may mean getting an STi head down the road instead of my SOHC EJ25 head route. But with an RS, an 04 WRX and an 94 Legacy Turbo in the house, I am sure that one of the cars will get the manifold eventually...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you have a chance could you post an image of the shape from the intake? That would help to match everything up. Or an image of the gasket.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I should have this in my possession in about a week. I will post a ton of pics and info once I have it and more once I start seeing what works...

Oh, one other thing I have discovered in all this. The MY00 STi v6 that this came from uses the same cores for the heads of the 02+ USDM EJ205's. As has been the case more than once before, Subaru has just transfered a part to another product line when they improved a new one. So, it is known that I could mate this manifold to USDM heads and put it on my EJ22...

BTW,
Ciper, I am trying to get a hold of Bret for you...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

sweet. Im very interested in seeing how this goes.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Morgie found that ej20t intake manifolds won't fit on the ej22t unless you use ej20t heads:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14464

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

bummer :(
subiekid
First Gear

Post by subiekid »

anyone know a good place to get a wrx manifold with the tgv housings?

if you have one and want to sell pm me.

or if you know of a junk yard with one then let me know. idaho sucks for car parts.
1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Ruby Mica - Turbo - EJ22T transplant