To flatblack....or not to flatblack...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Should I respray my turbo with flat black paint?

Yes.
40%
No. (why? post below...)
60%

Total votes: 15

aspect
First Gear

To flatblack....or not to flatblack...

Post by aspect »

Ok well, I'm thinking it's time to paint my car, as it is very very scratched, dinged, and a little bit melted.

Some of you may have seen the flat black STi in the newest sport compact car. I know I saw it from 15 feet away from the newsstand!

Because I'm a cheap bastard, and I'm just going to scratch the hell out of it anyways, I think flat black is the way to go.

Here's a recent photo:

dirt-covered 91 SS prorally
pat richard roll cage, DMS 50mm, stickers...
SOLD :(

99 impreza RS
ver. 7 sti swap, ver. 6 RA suspension, JDM bodywork, rotated GT28rs
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

keep it red until it's completely unbearable then worry about the body,
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

You paint doesn't look bad at all from the pic. I think the flat black will look pretty bad IMHO.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't think flat black would look too bad, but I don't think you should do it. You'll just look like an SCC wannabe or something.

You can actually do a not-too-terrible paint job on the cheap with rattle cans... You could, for example, do a coat or two of glossy red and then one coat of clearcoat.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Yeah, you definitely don't want to look like a follower, even though I think it'd look badass. From the pic you showed, the paint doesn't look bad at all.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

Just leave it -your car has a well-loved/used look because, obviously, it is/has been :) .
IMHO, I think a car that is exceptionally well (mechanically) maintained has a "ruggedly handsome" sorta look and feel about it.
Leave her as is and don't paint it any sooner than you absolutely have to.
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

People have been Krylon painting their cars for years before SCC. My buddy had a flat black, SR20DET powered 240SX before SCC started their 240 project car.

Keep it fast, and keep it flat black.

I'd say paint it. Maybe not flat black, maybe some other matte color (like Flat Red, or something).
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I used flat appliance epoxy paint on the hood and trunk of my '83 sedan. The only problem is the flat black fades to an ugly gray. I used to keep mine up with paint potectant spray and it stayed a more a semi-gloss black. The problem with painting gloss is drying time which allows all the aprticls of shit to get in the paint ... unless you have a clean garage. I always liked flat black cars as it goes back to the days of the first hot rodders who cared little about appearance, only about speed. I also like some cars to look used. I think muscle cars, for instance, look better with signs of use and age (not abuse and neglect) than they do restored. As an alternative o flat black, what about olive drab? It may look a little military or Michigan Militia, but it would be cool and have a similar effect. Actually you could prime it in flat black and if you alternate coats, it may turn out a little darker than olive drab.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
turbonator
Second Gear

Post by turbonator »

Do it.. I want to do my turbo in flatblack with black powder coated wheel and the EBC black slotted rotors
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Steve - I think the problem was the paint you were using.

Krylon Rust-Protector flat-black won't fade. Unfortunately, you need to do several coats for it to be durable. Proper priming will help.

Personally, as an alternative, I'd prime it flat-black, then spray it with spray-on-bedliner. Not Line-x or Rhynoliner kind of stuff, but go to Wal-Mart and get cans of the stuff.

For help, soak the cans in warm/hot water, and spray in a moderately warm environment (75 to 77 degrees F). Spray the can upside down until no paint comes out to clear the head and work from there.

Use THIN coats (5 thin coats paints MUCH better than 1 THICK coat). And inbetween coats of flat-black, tack-cloth the parts. This will take out really big particles.

Ideally, I'd sand the SHIT out of the car, then spray a primer coat (gray, so you can ensure complete coverage when you spray your color). Then do a coat or two of flat black, THEN spray with bedliner. One thin coat of bedliner would be sweet. It's textured slightly (if you get the right stuff) and if sprayed uniformly, it would be consistant.

Otherwise, just use 2 dozen cans of Krylon, and make sure you take everything off the car (scoop, spoiler, trim [as much as you can], etc.)

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Let's just say my opinion of painting ANY Subaru flat black can be summed-up this way:

I've subscribed to SCC for over two years. As of this month I'm going to let my subscription lapse and never pick it up again.
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Art - But that was a new car ... and that IS disgusting. I've rarely bought SCC for several years. I think the only guy I regularly enjoy reading is Dave Coleman.

Phil - could've been the paint, but it is rugged stuff - totally immune to leading edge hood chips. I've seen other faded flat-black cars, too, but they may've been just primered.

Crackle finish paint may be interesting, too, but would be difficult to get uniform. Would protect it well , but I suppose undercoat or bedliner would do that with less work.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

I dunno. . . I'm just usually opposed to ANY kind of rattle-can paintjob on a car or truck. . . with ONE EXCEPTION.

Camouflage.
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I HATE multi-color paint-can jobs. They don't ever have the potential to look good, IMO.

Steve - Might just be that the regularly flat black painted cars I see get repainted in the year lapse that I don't see them? Lol. I'm mainly going by my buddies 240. He krylon touched it, and it stayed pristine for the whole time it was painted. It wasn't being driven TO much though, so that might have something to do with it.

I think a flat blue would look really hot. Like Steve's wagon color, only flat. If you did it right, it would almost look powdercoated, and that would be so friggin hot. Not many cars could pull off a flat-blue, but I think the BC/BF is one that could, as long as it was done WELL.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's why I suggested olive drab. Might be weird on a Suby, but it would be different. It might look great with black trim.

Steve
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think appliance paint doesn't have the UV resistance of automotive and BBQ paints, which would cause it to fade outdoors.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Maybe use the epoxy as an under-layer, like primer. Though, using cheap paint protectant once a week on it kept it looking decent.

Flat blue would be awesome, but where would you get it?

Steve
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i think you should go with a semi-gloss black w/a slight amount of metal flake. kid of like the color of new unpainted body panels from subaru but metallic.

but not semi-gloss blue because i want to do that :P
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
NemesisEJ22t
First Gear

Post by NemesisEJ22t »

Well, i guess you guys wouldn't like the hood on my Celica, or the wing on my Legacy. Actually, they're both temporary because i can't afford to get them painted right now. IMHO, i like the olive drab color idea. Don't worry about what other people think though, do what YOU like.
Ben
91 Celica All-Trac @ 0 psi (turbo being installed)

92 Celica Turbo FWD (swap) @ 12 psi HOLY CRAP!!! I miss AWD
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

NemesisEJ22t wrote: Don't worry about what other people think though, do what YOU like.
I agree. That said, I say go ahead and do it. It isn't a big investment or anything so if it doesn't turn out, then just try something different. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Yukonart wrote:I dunno. . . I'm just usually opposed to ANY kind of rattle-can paintjob on a car or truck. . . with ONE EXCEPTION.

Camouflage.
Damn, you've figured me out!!~
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

If you do it, go with Krylon Semi-Flat Black. I've used that stuff for furniture and all kinds of stuff. It is an excellent paint, and Krylon cans spray much better than most. Look for the case discount !

True flat would be great, until you try to remove bird shit...
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car