Potential fuel leak problem all BC-BF owners

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nubs
First Gear

Potential fuel leak problem all BC-BF owners

Post by nubs »

Just wanted to let everbody know about the fuel leak that I found on my car. The fuel fill pipe has a plastic guard around it.
Over time this collects a major amount of road debris in it which makes the filler pipe rust through.Mine was through right at the bottom of the guard. I would advise all of you to either take the plastic cover off and clean everthing out befoere it rusts through.
I fixed mine temporarily with some gas tank repair, but plan on putting in a new fill tube at a cost of around $150.00. That is unless I can find a used one in good condition.
Last edited by nubs on Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

wow..i just found my leak last week in the exact same spot....i pulled the plastic cover off, claeaned the area up and sprayed some under coating on it, didnt help any...duh :roll: ...i was not sure where the leak was coming from, but it seems like the same spot....everytime i put in gas it leaks untill that filler tube is empty, then no more leak....that should be a recall :)
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Thats really interesting. I've got tomorrow off, i may take a look.

If this has happens with multiple cars, it should be brought to SOAs attention.

Even if they attribute it to wear and tear, the techs should be on the lookout for this potential leak.
-Jason Grahn
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The fuel filler throat is a common place in general for fuel leaks to happen due to rust. I've seen a lot of cars and trucks 10 or more years of age with this leak.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I have a buddy with a 95 that had his filler neck rust out
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

My 93' Legacy sprung a leak due to this exact problem a few months ago. I temporarily patched the pinhole sized leak with gas tank repair putty. It has since started to leak again. I'll be replacing the filler pipe with a very nice used one from Blackbart! :)
1993 Legacy L Sedan (25th Anniversary)
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

hum, could this explain the car smelling like fuel after a fill up and then the smell going away after a short while?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

I don't smell fuel inside the car but outside is another story. I have found that a quick fix to slow the leak is to break the vacuum by losening gas cap when parking the car. It still leaks but in drips instead of a pressurized stream.
1993 Legacy L Sedan (25th Anniversary)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Mike - Yeah, it could.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Does anyone have the P/N for the replacement fill tube?
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

When I did my strut/spring changeout I noticed that area was packed full of dirt. Took that cover off and must have chipped out ten pounds of packed in dried mud. Looking at it, I knew it couldn't be doing anything good to that pipe, but never thought about it causing a leak. Glad now I took the time to clean it out.
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

I was under the car one night looking at what I'd need to do to cut out the spare tire well from under the floor of the wagon.. and noticed this same thing... it was after going down a lot of trails that had a lot of mud and a lot of slush.... and yeah it was packed right full

I thought I made a post just like this when it happened?
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
mhrallyteam
First Gear

Post by mhrallyteam »

Mine leaks bad, 177$ can at the dealer
92 l swapped to ej22T with 2.0T shortblock
4.111 manual 2.5RS tranny, sti eng mount, wrx I/C, MBC, WRX turboback exhaust, WRX front seats, STI rad cap, WRX specR1 struts, Eibach springs , leg turbo front brake, WRX rear brake.
realfinn
First Gear

Post by realfinn »

This is not an uncommon problem with ANY car thats driven in rough weather conditions. When you buy a new one from the dealer coat it with por15 (www.por15.com) it won't happen again. I use the stuff on all of my car restorations and colision repair. It goes on and feels like glass after it dries. It acts as a rust inhibitor. They sold a starter kit for a while that will be more than enough to coat the filler tube (and probably the whole gas tank if you feel ambitious). I think the starter kits are around $20. Believe me its worth it especially after you see how much a new filler costs!

Don't screw around with that cheap ass undercoat crap. Undercoat works but it doesn't last.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

wow, i really hope this is what is wrong with my car.

it is leaking a lot. it only makes it to the ground when it is full but will loose 1/4 tank over night.

i am at 56 miles on half a tank right now.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Trace
First Gear

Post by Trace »

could you rehost the photo please? looks like i'm having some leaking problem as well ...
TrueBlue
First Gear

Post by TrueBlue »

I have this exact same problem - grabbed a shot of it last night. A PO tried patching it with fiberglass but it's unsuccessful. I've pushed aside the plastic cover, also caked with dirt.

Hope that helps someone out. :)

Any other place to grab one besides a dealership or am I looking at a repair / parts hunt?
1994 Legacy L AWD 5-sp • 2002 Chrysler 300M Special • 1968 Mustang Fastback C-code
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You could try a junkyard. Otherwise, I'd probably look at the dealer or online subaru parts store.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

TrueBlue
First Gear

Post by TrueBlue »

nubs said he dug one up five years ago at $150, but further searching ( :) ) here netted this:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/6663 ... r_neck.jpg

$113. Best price I've found, and it's not on rockauto.com.
1994 Legacy L AWD 5-sp • 2002 Chrysler 300M Special • 1968 Mustang Fastback C-code
silver03
First Gear

Re: Potential fuel leak problem all BC-BF owners

Post by silver03 »

I suspect our 94 may be leaking at the neck. Anyone know the interchangeability between legacy years? Theres one for sale locally on CL new for a 97. Wagon or sedan specific? thank you as usual.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Potential fuel leak problem all BC-BF owners

Post by Legacy777 »

Unfortunately, the newer Legacy fuel filler necks do not fit. Any of the first gen 90-94 Legacy fuel fillers should be interchangable. No difference between wagon and sedan.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT