The wipers on my Soob go smack, smack smack...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Soobster
First Gear

The wipers on my Soob go smack, smack smack...

Post by Soobster »

I have this problem with my windshield wipers. When I run the wipers the driver's side blade will hit the weather stripping along the driver's left edge of the glass. The blade makes contact with the stripping at all wiper speeds, but it gets worse (the blade really gives the stripping a pounding) when I increase the wiper speed.

Is there any way to adjust the travel of the driver's side wiper blade so that it does not go all the way over and hit the weather stripping and trim?

Also, because the wiper blade has been slapping into the weather stripping, the stripping is falling off. I want to reglue it (or get new stripping to reglue) onto the trim strip that runs along the edge of the windshield. However, I am honestly pretty scared to pull at that exterior trim piece without knowing exactly how to remove it. Has anyone had experience with pulling that black trim that runs from the bottomn of the windshield along the edge up to the trim that runs the length of the car?

Thanks all.
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

my blade does that too...
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Why? Oh why?

It needs to stop, it is driving me crazy!
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

The wipers are different lengths on the driver an passenger sides (20 and 21 inches, i think, check your user manual) I bet someone just bought a 21" 2 pack.

That stripping has to be gotten at by removing the metal trim on the outside. Rip out the window weatherstripping, and then look for screws. You'll find them all over. When you have them all, the piece can be more or less lifted out.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Mine knocks too but it hits the other wiper when it returns back to the 'down' position. Does it at varying speeds and on varying days. I've learned to live with it for now, I think my gear box is dying since there seems to be excess play in it. Have you checked the play in your gearbox?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

Mine does this, too, and the wiper is correct. It hits both the side trim, and the bottom when on high.

In my case it appears that the arm is stripped a bit on the spline shaft. In other words, you can move the wiper arm an inch or so when the wipers are off. So the arm over-shoots due to inertia, especially on high.

I'm going to replace the arm and see what happens. That noise is damn annoying, and its been raining a lot here lately.

I suspect the stripping is from frozen wipers in the winter.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Frozen wipers, those can be bitchy. And if you don't get all the snow cleared off the cabin air intake and the wipers come down and pack it so it doesn't come all the way down. I know I've done that once or twice.

Anybody else using Rain-x, cuts down on how much you need to run the wipers and hear that knocking.
Lee

Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Good to hear I'm not the only one.

So when the wipers are at rest at the bottom of the windshield should there be any play in the wiper arms? Mine seems to have quite a large amount of play. Will swapping a new wiper motor solve this problem or is there slop that develops in the linkages as well?

I actually have an extra wiper motor that I pulled from the JY before I noticed that the wiper fuse was missing.

Does gearbox=wiper motor?
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Soobster wrote:So when the wipers are at rest at the bottom of the windshield should there be any play in the wiper arms?
My wipers have about 2 inches of play. I have the same knocking problem. I thought at first it was the wiper hitting the trim piece/weather stripping thing but it wasn't. To be sure I unbolted the wiper arms anbd moved each wiper arm down a bit. That didn't seem to help and sometimes the smacking sound come and goes :?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

gearbox = wiper motor if the wiper motor doesn't have a gearbox between the wiper and the motor
Lee

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The tip of mine hits the trim and I have no play at all.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

same here. I think that's just how they're designed.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Mine don't hit at all from what I have noticed....
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I think I'm going to notch the passenger wiper arm and put some of that tool handle dip stuff on the edge of the notch to quiet down the knocking.
Lee

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

my 91's didnt. My rear wiper also sags
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, the rear wiper is annoying - it just barely dips below horizontal and past the glass. It's not hugely noticeable, but it bothers me. The next notch up on the splines is too great a jump to just adjust it.

It seems my fronts only touch at highway speeds.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Re: The wipers on my Soob go smack, smack smack...

Post by biggreen96 »

Sooo has anybody replaced the motor to see if cures the slop and hitting the trim?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

This is and old thread, but in my case the plastic clips that hold the wiper linkage together was badly worn. I was parting another car out and changed the all the wiper linkage with good clips and wipers are tight now.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Are these clips down under the cowl?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Yes
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)