What Wiper Blades

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: What Wiper Blades

Post by evolutionmovement »

I got some of those 1-piece ones a while ago. I forget the brand, but they are definitely a better choice than the traditional blades since they clean the windshield more evenly and don't ice up in the snow.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The one piece are definitely where it's at, just don't buy the rain-x or Michelin ones.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I put them on my G35 and I haven't been uber impressed myself. They seem to work well but esthetically they make the wiper arms stick up much higher than stock and they tend to lift off the windshield at high speeds when in use. I plan to go back to normal ones after these wear out....which reminds me how the hell long have these been on the car?? hum....
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Mike, you should get the carbon fiber wings the Lamborghinis have. I haven't had any problem with mine lifting any more than the other crappy, articulated ones.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Thats weird. I never had the other normal blades lift up on me before and only noticed it with the new style.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Probably aerodynamics differences. Both blades only seem to lift over 90 in the Mazda, but would lift on the return stoke before 80 on the more upright windshield of the wagon (I never tried the blade ones on it). The Infiniti might be more laid back still, but there's more to it than just the angle of the windshield determining the angle of attack of the blades. Perhaps the airflow is more laminar on the Infiniti. Then there's the curvature to consider as well. Oh forget it. Jesus Christ.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

lol, yes, we are talking about wiper blades not the cure for cancer...
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
LegacyW90
In Neutral

Post by LegacyW90 »

if you just clean the blades with the back side of a spong (abrasive) it refreshes the blades so stop buying them so often, my blades are something like 3 or 4 years old if not older and work great because I clean them whenever they start leaving streaks.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What type of sponge? The yellow sponge with the green abrasive side to it for washing dishes? I started buying the cheap old school ones. They last the same as the bosch icons but for a fraction of the cost so what's the point?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Rubbing alcohol will also refresh the rubber.

However, over time the blades will start to lean in a certain direction and sometimes cause the blades to chatter and not work. That unfortunately isn't something you can fix.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

I don't know if this helps, but i live in Hawaii and it RAINS EVERY DAMN DAY. I go to Napa and buy the cheap o on sale blades, and use rainx window washer fluid doesnt streak or anything and beads the water.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Truth be told, what's your safety worth? The cost of buying new blades once or twice a year is minor relative to an accident or something worse. My windshield was pitted like crazy, so when it finally cracked badly and I got a new one, blades started lasting longer. But, after trying rain x, bosch, and piaa blades, I actually had the best success with mid range valeo blades. This was before the replacement windshield. But even so, I tend to replace blades during October every year regardless. I do aquapel application at the same time. Often times the valeo blades will be on Amazon for like ten bucks a blade. Aquapel is "spendy" at about 6 or 7 an application. Winterizing for me is also new headlight bulbs. All and all I spend about 50 bucks a year to be safe. Like a tank of gas, maybe a little more.

/preachy rant
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Good point K. I get cheapo blades and replace them often. Last time I spent decent money on blades (fancy Bosch ones), they didn't do a noticeably better job, and lasted about 2 months. I didn't think about my pitted windshield though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

i got the bosch's and love them. i live and work at a ski resort and the just power through the ice and snow as well.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily