how to take off the door panels

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bennn
In Neutral

how to take off the door panels

Post by bennn »

1994 wagon
i'm replacing my brothers front speakers
some quick tips would be awesome

thanks, john
:p
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

use a butter knife to pop out the door handle covers first, there's a clip on the top and bottom of the handle hinge.

There's 2 screws for the handle, one at the top that's pretty obvious and another in the arm rest that you have to take off a plastic cover to access.

3 screws next to the speakers

don't rip off the door panel, the button assembly will pop open and shoot switch parts all over. be careful.

The factory speakers suck, they're a special part. I used 1" spacers and cut out a little of the inside of the panel to make them fit, if your speakers aren't very deep you might be able to clear it with a half inch spacer. Buy both types and return the one you don't use. You MUST install spacers to mount aftermarket door speakers.

good luck.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

I think I used maybe a 1/4" thick worth of washers mounting my front speakers in my 92. They were some Older Kicker 6.5"s I got from a friend. They wouldn't clear the window with the speaker mounted flush, so I added washers until I got about an 1/8" of clearance between the glass and the magnet.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah these doors really suck to install speakers in. REALLY. I put in 6.5" Image Dynamics CX62 midbass speakers in the doors of my 90 legacy wagon and I had to use two 3/4" MDF speaker rings stacked on top of each other to clear the magnet from the window. Of course that sticks out way too far for the panel to go on so I drove around with the speaker grills removed and the panel that the grills are attatched to.

But these were pretty large speakers. About 3" or 3.5" deep and the magnet is about 5" in diameter. They handle 150 watts @ 2ohm RMS.

Good luck with your speaker install. Hope you have small speakers or it's gonna suck. You'd probably be better off finding a speaker that's suitable for kick panel install and vent them into the carpet or something. That's assuming you're down for making the fiberglass kick panels.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

When I installed Kicker DS600 speakers all around, I too ran into issues with the front.

A much more OEM solution is to unscrew the factory speaker mount. Then drill out the spot welds so you can remove the old speaker. Next, drill new holes around the speaker mount, preferably with holes that line up to your speaker. Screw in the speaker to the OEM mount, then attach the whole thing back to the door. Re-attach the speaker wires and you're set. Unless the new speakers are considerably higher than the OEM, it should fit just fine behind the door panel. Shame I didn't take pics of this all when I did it.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.