Anyone used the rally armor basic mud flaps?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

suba
First Gear

Anyone used the rally armor basic mud flaps?

Post by suba »

While looking around for a template for cutting out some mud flaps I ran across this link:

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/univers ... p-274.html

At $15 I would be pretty happy to not have to cut out my own set (I cut horrible straight lines) or try and find the right kind of plastic. Anyone ever used these?
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

I decided to give it a shot anyway, just ordered a set. Once I get them on I'll post a picture, assuming everything works out.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

just ordered a set, $26 to the door is worth a shot. ill post pics and review after i install them.
WagonMafia
-Pure White 93 L Wagon converted to Turbo Wagon (almost complete)
-Pure White 92 SS parts car (doner) donated to friend
-91 Mazda miata drifto DD
http://photobucket.com/wagonmafia
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

I really wanted those scoobie boobie ones....
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

screw that it cost me 14 bucks for 3 sets i can make for myself. 6 bucks for hardware. so it cost me $9.67 for one set. yeah i will go my route. with the cost being 14 bucks for 2 sets i have 12 to get 4 right. all you need is one(in the shape you want) and a dremel.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Ya, but....I'm lazy...
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Plus, you've never seen what happens when I get hold of a dremel.... :D
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

Just got mine in today. THEYRE HUGE!!!!! But.... that how i like my mudflaps, enormous because i run big wide tires! lol I worked today and then installed my ss front bumper and fmic, so im done working on the wagoon today. prolly get them on next week and then will post pics. so far, so good though guys, looking forward to the install.

-WagonMafia
WagonMafia
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Awesome. Can't wait to see how they look!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Showed up today, just got them installed. Tomorrow I'll grab a few pictures.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Airgne wrote:screw that it cost me 14 bucks for 3 sets i can make for myself. 6 bucks for hardware. so it cost me $9.67 for one set. yeah i will go my route. with the cost being 14 bucks for 2 sets i have 12 to get 4 right. all you need is one(in the shape you want) and a dremel.
Because $26 is so much money :roll:

For $26 I'm tempted to try it, definitely someone needs pics. Sure I can make them myself, but the Ikea ones look like crap, and if I just buy the material I have to decide what material and what thickness I want and I gotta find a template or experiment on my own with it, for a few days worth of gas I'd rather just have them ready to mount.

And the Ikea ones are too narrow, so if these are big that's perfect :D

Actually OP you live right by me, I'm sure I'll see them anyway, haha, and now I'll be able to notice if I see you driving.
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Well figured I couldn't honestly review the flaps without a good "test" so I went for a little drive today and found an amazing gravel road the back way in to pullman. The road even has a sweet sign that says "winter conditions may make road impassable", I cannot wait for snow so I can have some fun :D Anyway, here are some shots of the car:

90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

A little short for my taste, those the 12"?
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Not sure, didn't measure them. I could have mounted them a bit lower, but found a nice easy index spot on the fender well so I went with that. Also, the back of my car is raised a bit compared to the front. Can you get the universals in two sizes?
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I think I read it wrong, it says 12" and 15" on the site but I think it's front and rear because of the difference in height. Your rear sits higher than mine though, I think I'm gonna order a set soon.

How did you order it? Site's kind of confusing, "available in sets" makes it sound like you can get them elsewhere on the site as a set but the ones shown aren't. Did you just get it off that page?
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Yep, a "quantity" of 1 is actually a set, they're all the same size though. If you want to come over and take a look at them on the car your welcome to, I'm usually home in the evenings (except tomorrow).
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

suba wrote:Yep, a "quantity" of 1 is actually a set, they're all the same size though. If you want to come over and take a look at them on the car your welcome to, I'm usually home in the evenings (except tomorrow).
I may do that, but I'm busy until the weekend. I could just wait and you could come to the next WSU Subies and Evos meet so I won't be the only Legacy :D I haven't been to a meet yet.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 0689340003
If you don't know about it
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

i put mine on, and i think they look sweet. although the most dirt/mud my car will see is the parking lot that i park in at work, it still adds the rally heritage of subaru to the car so its still respectable.
WagonMafia
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Mine were delivered today but I wasn't home :( post office closed at one too, FML.
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

Heres the pics I promised. What do you think?

WagonMafia
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Got mine on today, I might drop them down a little bit, they sit a little high I think, but they look even higher in the pictures, they're maybe 2 inches off the ground at most, I'm thinkin they need to be 1-1.5"

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

those seem like a very good deal.

a word of caution for those with big flaps. be careful backing up especially in snow. the flaps can get sucked into the tire and ripped off likely tearing out the mounting holes from the fenders. this happened to me one winter when i had pretty big flaps and was tear assing around in the snow a lot. was unable to go forward in some deep snow so i dumped the clutch in reverse and bumpyness combined with deep snow sucked the flaps into the tire.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

206er wrote:those seem like a very good deal.

a word of caution for those with big flaps. be careful backing up especially in snow. the flaps can get sucked into the tire and ripped off likely tearing out the mounting holes from the fenders. this happened to me one winter when i had pretty big flaps and was tear assing around in the snow a lot. was unable to go forward in some deep snow so i dumped the clutch in reverse and bumpyness combined with deep snow sucked the flaps into the tire.
Thanks, I'd actually seen that somewhere on here before but forgot about it. I'll have to remember that when it snows.

Upon looking at mine again I'm not gonna make them any lower, they look a whole lot lower in person than in the pictures, I'm not really sure how the pictures came out the way they did, they're and index finger off the ground, I even scrape when I make one of the more bumpy turns on the way back from class.
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

are those oil spots on the tar from you Apex? i think scooby's marking his territory! mine does the same, rear main seal.
WagonMafia
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

WagonMafia wrote:are those oil spots on the tar from you Apex? i think scooby's marking his territory! mine does the same, rear main seal.
Noooo, I park where it's sitting now because the sprinklers attack me with dirty water that leaves water spots every night. Though I do have a small oil leak somewhere, it's only about a quart every couple months.