BC/BJ Legacy Roll Cage Build!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: BC/BJ Legacy Roll Cage Build!

Post by kimokalihi »

That's looking kickass! I want one in my car...What does it cost to have one of these put in and how many hours of work would it be?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Looks awesome. Make sure you let us know how much more solid that tank feels when it's back on the road!
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

kimokalihi wrote:That's looking kickass! I want one in my car...What does it cost to have one of these put in and how many hours of work would it be?
Thanks Kimo, come and get one installed! The price range for a cage is anywhere from $1200-$2000+, I figure this one is about $1600-ish. They'll take around a week to build, more or less.

Alright...I think I've added all the bars I want on this cage, at least for the near future.
And look...the door panel STILL fits! :-D
Time for a few gussets and some paint. As a side note, we need new seats; the OEM ones aren't low enough to keep your head away from the roof bars. More to come!
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Those are definitely not rally door bars. Looking good, though. Can't wait to see it all gusseted and painted.
BTW, I think your prices are a little low.
The DI is a great resource and community.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is that price including paint? Would I need to remove my dash first and interior? Interior is easier to remove than the dash. I have family in Loveland, CO...haha
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

beatersubi wrote:Those are definitely not rally door bars. Looking good, though. Can't wait to see it all gusseted and painted.
BTW, I think your prices are a little low.
The DI is a great resource and community.
No, not rally door bars at all, and thanks again. This car's going back to being my friend's daily commuter, maybe someday it'll get some goodies bolted on to it and become a goofy NASA/SCCA car. Either way, it wouldn't be too hard to change the bars at a later date to suit whatever we want to do with this wagon. Good to know about the prices too, I'm still feeling things out.

BTW, if you're used to rally cages, don't get too excited about the gussets...I'm not doing those big wraparound ones, just the 1/8" thick gussets in the corners. They were MORE than strong enough in my old dirt stock car, and that saw some real punishment. Wait until you see the paint though. :lol:
kimokalihi wrote:Is that price including paint? Would I need to remove my dash first and interior? Interior is easier to remove than the dash. I have family in Loveland, CO...haha
Kimo, those prices do NOT include painting or interior prep. I could build a cage that doesn't go through the dash, but it isn't quite as cool. 8) Lemme know when you make it to Loveland, I'm only about 20 minutes away!
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Awright, I got some more to share...

I soon found out that the stock seats had to go-they just didn't sit low enough to keep the bars comfortably away from an un-helmeted head. So in preparation, I welded up some flat-ass seat brackets and bolted them to the factory holes.
Then, in the name of safety, I added some seatback supports to the harness bar. Here's the driver's...
...and the passenger's. The passenger gets to recline a bit more since there's no diagonal bar behind the headrest.

And here's the seats...the cheapest crap they had on Ebay, $250 shipped for the pair. They actually don't look that bad, but we'll see how comfy they turn out to be. Probably not very!
You can see how the seatback support fits right between the harness holes in the seats.

Time for paint! I know some of you will probably HATE the color, but keep in mind this car's going to be a rolling ad for my new business-so it has to be noticeable. Once you get over the color, look closely and you can see gussets and tabs on the harness bar for the belts. I still have to clean up and fit the dash, but here's what's in front of my house right now.

Think it's gonna be noticeable? :lol: :lol: :lol:
-And more!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good man! Should have gone with a little darker pink :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Nice. I plan to take this on at some point. Just finishing up my welding classes for the time being.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

The Cage looks good, but caging a DD is pretty stupid, as is using super cheap seats that are gonna disintegrate in a crash.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Grayguy wrote:The Cage looks good, but caging a DD is pretty stupid, as is using super cheap seats that are gonna disintegrate in a crash.
...Right...The cage is more than far enough away from my unhelmeted head, and I'm 6'2". And how are the seats going to "disentegrate in a crash"? They're bolted securely to the floor with thicker brackets than factory, as well as having the seatbacks supported by the cage; they're surrounded by steel tubing; and the 5-point harnesses hold the occupants FAR more securely than an OEM 3-point belt, much less 20-year old belts.
-And more!
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

LOVE the color! Cool project, too.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Haha, thanks! The paint is just Lowe's rattle-cans, this was the only shade of pink they had. "Tulip Pink" :lol:

It turns out I have to add a little more to the cage; there just isn't enough space between the "harness bar" and the seats to properly mount the shoulder harnesses. I'll show you in a few days, I hope.
-And more!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Sorry for the delay, I had to do some work for paying customers...but there's been progress. I also now have my own shop with a hell of a lot more room to play. :twisted:

Here's my solution for the shoulder harness mounts. They look killer in person, and I'm positive strength won't be an issue. :-)

A couple of shots with the harnesses installed.

I also managed to get the dash back in and pretty much all functioning. The glovebox door (which is now attached) is only cosmetic though...it no longer opens, as there's nothing but steel behind it.

And finally for now, here's a lame poser shot. :lol:
-And more!
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

looks great man!!! I want one :P
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Very nice man!

How much weight would you say it adds to the car? What wall thickness did you use?
92 Sport 5MT
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

The whole cage weighs 175 lbs ., give or take a couple of pounds. It's all built with 1.75" x .125" wall tubing.
-And more!
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Cool thx. The 1.75 makes it look beefy :)
92 Sport 5MT
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

it looks great.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I'd like to see more pics of the dashboard modification
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

cj91legss wrote:I'd like to see more pics of the dashboard modification
No pics of the dash cutting, sorry. Basically, the dash bar sits right where the ductwork for the dash vents goes, so there was a lot of clearancing to get it to sit somewhat normally. The vents still work a little and the defroster's *okay*...

Let's just say I'm not going to put a dash bar in another street car! :/
-And more!
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Hey I forgot to ask what pipe bender that is, and how much $ it is. Thanks.
92 Sport 5MT
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I'm using a Pro Bender Pro3. I think it was about $900 for the package I bought.
-And more!
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Woah just now saw this thread. Sweet work man.

Since it's your business card go roll the hell out of it and then people will really come to you for a cage! If I walked into a shop and they had a gnarly balled up chassis but the occupant area was still intact that would speak to me.

The color is great too! Lets get more Legacys caged up!
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

biggreen96 wrote:Woah just now saw this thread. Sweet work man.

Since it's your business card go roll the hell out of it and then people will really come to you for a cage! If I walked into a shop and they had a gnarly balled up chassis but the occupant area was still intact that would speak to me.

The color is great too! Lets get more Legacys caged up!
Hey, thanks! As a matter of fact, that car commutes 120+ miles daily down I-25, so it's not impossible that it'll bet balled up one of these days. I sure hope not, but the cage should hold!

I haven't done any more Legacies just yet...I am caging an '04 STi right now though! 8)
-And more!