Custom Grille v3.0

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Custom Grille v3.0

Post by originalcyn »

So I'm trying to make a custom grille, but I'm running into some trouble because of my lack of any sort of body work skill, or skill in general.

So I cut out all the cross members on this grille, which is from a 93 LS. What I get left with after I file everything down are some triangular holes in the surface of the sides of the grille. Like so:

I ended up bondoing in the holes and then sanding it down and painting. The finished result is ok, but i think i have a stress crack. It's really small, but still, I don't think there's enough surface area to bondo it right:

So, I guess my question is, has anyone else done this? And if so, how did you patch the triangular holes? Thanks for the help!
Last edited by originalcyn on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: Custom Grille Troubles

Post by gijonas »

you should fiberglass the backside of the grill behind the notches,then bondo over that.As you have it the filler is just going to crack and fall out, let the fiberglass be the structure and backing and the filler do what its supposed to, fill.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Awesome! Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Is there places I can get fiberglass locally that are chains? Or will I have to go to a specialty store?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah fiberglass would be ideal but I used 2 part 5 min epoxy. Worked great.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You should be able to get fiberglass mat at any auto parts or auto body place.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Thanks for all the pointers guys! I'll probably try to redo this one up with epoxy or something and then move on to the next one.

I'm thinking body color for the next one.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

There's a writeup with pics in my build thread recently. Don't feel like looking for which page it's on though.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Ok I found it. So you taped off the triangular holes with that green tape and then just poured 5 minute epoxy in? Does that stuff sand well?

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... &start=900
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it sands alright. Not as well as bondo but bondo isn't the right material to use as it's only for slight imperfections in bodywork, not filling gaps. Just mix the two parts together 50/50 and let it dry 15 mins or so and then sand it smooth and paint right over it.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Awesome, thanks!
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

You should still use a reinforcement such as FG mat with the epoxy.The epoxy can still crack all by itself.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Or hemp mat.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Ok, sounds good.

Hemp mat?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You can use industrial hemp in a similar manner as fiberglass. I may build car body panels out of it.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Ah, i gotcha. Sounds like fun!

Kimokalihi, i just reread your build journal, but i was wondering what you used to keep your mesh in. I used some of that JB stic stuff, i guess it used to be called liquid steel? Did you just use epoxy for that too?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

There's little to no THC in industrial hemp.

For mine, I wrapped the mesh, which is a hex-cut aluminum sheet flatter than the usual gutter guard people use, around the sides of the inside of the grille and secured it with double sided tape. The way it was mounted, the OEM parts helped hold it in as well, but epoxy or something may be a better bet.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I used nothing. I formed it to fit the grill perfectly with a hammer and a vice and snapped the grill back in place with the mesh behind it and it doesn't move a bit. I don't really see a point in doing anything further to hold it in place since it's pretty solid the way it is.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

a suggestion for if/ when you re-do or do another grille, fill the gap between the chrome and center section. it give more of a turbo grille impression, im doing that on my L grille and it makes a big difference
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Oh snap! i didn't even think of that. Thanks!

evolutionmovement - that sounds like a lot fun, but a lot of work. good luck on that!

kimokalihi - i'm jealous, i molded the mesh around the grille, but it didn't seem have enough friction to keep it on, or enough places to be snapped on to. but yours turned out very nicely, which i'm also jealous about.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks I spent the majority of the time molding the gutter guard material to fit perfectly over the back of the grill. It actually bends under the lip of the grill and tucks into the ridge that folds back on the front of the grill.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Ok, sounds good. i'll probably try to spend more time with the mesh this time. Maybe i can get it to be a tighter fit. thanks for the advice.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

You guys made this really difficult. All I did was cut up a mesh trash can I got for $4 at Bed Bath and Beyond, cut the center out of the grill and painted it, then put some screws in.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think the gutter guard was about $2 and only needed minor trimming and was already in the right shape. I didn't even use screws and it fits great.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Yeah, 1.92 or something like that for the gutter mesh. But the garbage can seems like a nice idea. Really fine and tightly woven mesh seems kinda rad. I was thinking of using screen door mesh for a while.

However, as far as difficulty, all the paint and mesh stuff was relatively easy. The biggest issue, at least for me is filling those damned triangles. But it sounds like you didn't have too much trouble with that Apex, so that's cool. How did you deal with the triangular cut outs? You have a 91 grille right?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I used gutter guard first and it looked like shit, so I switched to the can which had a lot harder mesh. I didn't deal with cutouts at all, you have to be within like 2 feet to notice any difference so I didn't bother, only thing I might fix is from cutting out the emblem in the center on the bottom.