Light Bar / Push Bumper setup

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Re: Light Bar / Push Bumper setup

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I'm working on a front push-bar and light set for my Legacy as well..

The rear tire-bar I made...

This is because I trimmed some bodywork back and reduced the rear tire well to just deep enough for the tool box to fit...
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

race_to_live wrote:http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... ar#p346505

I have a few pics on there
Dang...that's awesome! Got any dimensions or anything for it? I dont have a welder, but my neighbor does.
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:I'm working on a front push-bar and light set for my Legacy as well..

The rear tire-bar I made...

This is because I trimmed some bodywork back and reduced the rear tire well to just deep enough for the tool box to fit...
/IMAG0203.jpg[/img]
Oh, believe me, I've been watching your progress. I'm pretty freakin jealous of your car too haha
I've actually been wanting to build an offroad machine and I've been looking at yours for ideas.
I love the spare tire over the trunk. Frees up a ton of space.

I've been wanting to make a rear tire swing for my Legacy like the Impreza's Gravel Express version.
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

SWRT wrote:

Dang...that's awesome! Got any dimensions or anything for it? I dont have a welder, but my neighbor does.
Ill have to take some close up pics and measure it.ill take pics of where it mounts too.
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

SWRT wrote:
Oh, believe me, I've been watching your progress. I'm pretty freakin jealous of your car too haha
I've actually been wanting to build an offroad machine and I've been looking at yours for ideas.

I've been wanting to make a rear tire swing for my Legacy like the Impreza's Gravel Express version.
Wow! Thank you! I am surprised really, I've a few people that have commented, but that's it. So far, so good on it. Things should happen a little faster, I've a job again! :P It gives me a bit more momentum really, to know people like it!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

race_to_live wrote:
SWRT wrote:

Ill have to take some close up pics and measure it.ill take pics of where it mounts too.
Thanks, man! I was actually thinking about it and was gonna ask if you could do that.
Do they stay pretty stable?
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:
SWRT wrote:
Wow! Thank you! I am surprised really, I've a few people that have commented, but that's it. So far, so good on it. Things should happen a little faster, I've a job again! :P It gives me a bit more momentum really, to know people like it!
Do you own that garage? Everything you're doing looks like fun. I wish I had a place like that that I could work and I wish I knew how to weld...that'd help. There's so much stuff like that I would be doing with a spare Legacy or Impreza. I want to sell my 98 RS and make an offroad Legacy Wagon or early model Impreza. Firstly to have it as a spare car and secondly to have it as an awesome project. I cant wait to see how your car turns out, man. You've got a few fans haha
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

SWRT wrote:
Do you own that garage? Everything you're doing looks like fun. I wish I had a place like that that I could work and I wish I knew how to weld...that'd help. There's so much stuff like that I would be doing with a spare Legacy or Impreza. I want to sell my 98 RS and make an offroad Legacy Wagon or early model Impreza. Firstly to have it as a spare car and secondly to have it as an awesome project. I cant wait to see how your car turns out, man. You've got a few fans haha
Answered on my Safari Legacy thread, so not to threadjack *was a larger reply*

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 55#p361555
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Well a few months later i have finally made my light bar and got my hella's mounted. I wasnt expecting such a gap between the lights but it turns out i have enough room to fit another set if i can find some more for cheap. I dont really know the dimensions of it because it is all kind of eyeballed and made from scrap steel bar i was able to scrounge from some welding friends and a piece i found on the side of the road. Unfortunately i dont have any pictures of the process while it was apart. But basically the supports run from the radiator mount holes and go out through the front of the hood, around my grill to a bracket. I drilled a hole into my bumper beam and just screwed the bracket in there. Its kind of hard to tell from the pictures but there is also a horizontal bar that connects both sides for extra stability. Its a pretty solid set up and i havent noticed any vibrations but i also havent gone off road with them yet and that is the real test. I swapped out the stock 55w bulbs for some 100w bulbs. In a previous build i used the 150w lights and they actually melted the light housing to the point i couldnt use them anymore. So i stuck to the medium level.

1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

I've seen that idea done before, but never to that degree :D
Looks nice, man. The extra lights would really tie it all in too.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

More solid with the reach over brackets than I did mine. I used adjustable standoffs with rubber stoppers on one end to be able to aim them vertically. Worked, but they'd still bounce on bumps.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Yeah i came to the probablem of aiming them vertically after i had already assembled them unfortuneatly. Was something i should have thought of but didnt. I had to take a metal file and grind down a small section of the bracket so i could have some clearance. Didnt have to take that much off luckily.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

Ya, ive gone over plans with a fabricator to do a psyudo rally setup on my dd and just skidplating the whole underside. Also, a front lightbar for a set of 5 1/2" hids. Running 1 1/4" tubing in front of my bumper, and out far enough to clear my intercooler. Right now ive got a set plated on bottom and through my enlarged opening.Image kinda like this, so it provides protection as well. I put my standup jetski in my car, and rally down to the cove. Sometimes, i like to jump and have fun on the way, so i need to have a strong car. Food for thought, my $.02.
WagonMafia
-Pure White 93 L Wagon converted to Turbo Wagon (almost complete)
-Pure White 92 SS parts car (doner) donated to friend
-91 Mazda miata drifto DD
http://photobucket.com/wagonmafia
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

My neighbor that was gonna help me with a push bumper is moving next weekend so it's back the drawing board. May just use some angle iron and bolt it to the bumper where the grille goes.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Pretty sure everyone has seen my light bar but I figured I should post it in the right thread lol.
First picture is the first light bar I made, all the other pictures are of version two as I made progress on it. And the last picture is how it sits today, no changes planned untill I go all out and build a whole tubing front bumper.
Even though this is an old post, I figured I would post my final light set up.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Saw this at WCSS. The owner stated that it came off of a Toyota pickup and that the mounts were modified to bolt to the tow hooks on the bottom of the chassis and the bumper. It looked pretty stout, but I wonder what it would do in any kind of impact.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Here's my light set up, I put it in the factory location for a roof rack even tho mine didn't have one.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:
SWRT wrote:

I'm wondering how this is turning out :D
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

rallyak wrote:Here's my light set up, I put it in the factory location for a roof rack even tho mine didn't have one.
You custom made a roof rack?
I know I said it in another post, but your paint
setup is freakin awesome :D
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Yeah Some pipe, a little bend here and there, weld it all together and even had it powder coated. I tryed using a stock roof rack but it wasn't strong enough to hold the large Hella's.

Thanks on the paint comment.
Charles

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

+1 for the paint. Do you have a pic of the entire car. That is what I want to do to mine, only with the factory grey/silver on the bottom half.
Nice fab work, too.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

here's a semi front side,
Charles

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I like the roof/light rack. Looks good!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

rallyak wrote:Yeah Some pipe, a little bend here and there, weld it all together and even had it powder coated. I tryed using a stock roof rack but it wasn't strong enough to hold the large Hella's.

Thanks on the paint comment.
I'm impressed. I'll keep your design in mind when
I go to build my car.