Which online dealer will sell cut keys?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Which online dealer will sell cut keys?

Post by ciper »

Subaruparts.com will not do it even though the following EXTRAORDINARY fricking conditions are met -

I would have faxed my 2012 registration and ID both of which have the same name/address
I would have used a credit card with name and billing address matching the above documents
I have ordered parts from them for YEARS so I have an existing account with this name/address
I emailed them from my work email so I offered to let them look the company up online and call to ask for me.
To top it off they would have had a paper trail of all my information that wouldn't exist if I picked it up in person...

I mean really, what damn paranoid logic is this? If I wanted to take a car there are MUCH easier ways (that I have personal experience with)

"I'm sorry, I am not able to cut a key and mail it to you. I would have to have you come in and provide proof of ownership; your title or registration and photo ID. Sorry.

Allison Raymond"

My ID picture barely looks like me. This means that I could have a high school friend of mine who looks similar enough go pick the key up since he lives in Washington lawl
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Which online dealer will sell cut keys?

Post by ciper »

Even SubieGal turned me down.
"Thank you for your email to SubaruGenuineParts
Due to the nature of the internet, we are not permitted to cut and ship keys.
Very sorry but it against our company policy and we do not make exceptions in this case.
We can sell you the key blank, but we cannot cut the key for you.
Thank you,"

Come to find out http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/ is not a dealer and http://subaruonlineparts.com doesn't cut keys.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't know of any online dealer that will mail you cut keys. It's just something they won't do.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

What exactly is it that you're trying to do? If you need a freshly made key, you can just take the existing key and ask to have it remade by code.

The locksmith will then read the code, then remake it. This is sort of like reading a document that got fuzzy and nasty over getting copied over and over and over, then retyping it on word processor by retyping.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The key code is specific to Subaru. Only they know how to interpret that code to make you a brand new key. A normal locksmith won't have any idea what that code means.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Locksmiths can't read the key code, but they can read the bitting code.

The key code is a number that Subaru has recorded and can look up by VIN is a number (like, say, 3287) that a locksmith can look up in a giant book or something to get the bitting code. The bitting code says what the actual cuts on the key are (like, say, 3-2-2-4-2-1), and that's how the locksmith makes the key.

A locksmith can just read the bitting code off a key by examining the actual cuts. Actually, you can read the cuts off your key yourself: http://www.nissanforums.com/general-dis ... ost1178461

In fact, I'm pretty sure the Nissan locks that poster is talking about are the same as the locks in first-generation Legacies.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It sounds like you'd need to get a good locksmith....I'm sure not all locksmiths would have that knowledge.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

if you need help with keys, I maybe able to help.

First Gens uses this system:

From left shoulder notch to 1st cut is 0.118" and from there, its in 0.0196" increments.
Shoulder to cut 1 is 0.118, shoulder to 2 is 0.201 3 is 0.283 and so forth...

Use a caliper and stylus to mark positions. Spacing gets skewed with repeated copying. There are only four possible depths, so once you determine one depth, you should be able to eyeball it.

If you're missing some, but have most of the bits, I can help you find the rest.