Fuel leak, tank replacement? Other available options...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thenicky0
First Gear

Fuel leak, tank replacement? Other available options...

Post by thenicky0 »

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the repetitiveness of this topic but I'm in a unique situation here. This Legacy is an entirely new platform for me. The car in question is 1994 Subaru Legacy L FWD model.

When I bought the car, it had a quarter tank of gas and gave me no problems on the drive home. When I filled it up for the first time, I noticed a strong gas smell and come to find the car is leaking gas under the car. At this point the gas gauge is working fine and things are well except for the leak.

A couple of days ago, I put the car up on ramps and notice this:

At this point I'm assuming it's only a problem when the car is full. Maybe figure if I wait til it goes down to half or less I could buy myself some time to do some research and figure out my options.

Today, however, I notice that the leak has slowed, if not stopped entirely. I'm guessing the gas levels got below the actual leak point. The problem is, the gas gauge has completely died now. As soon as I began to drive the car it has gone down to below E. My questions are as follows:

-Given the nature of the leaks, is a new gas tank necessary? (If so what are my WRX options: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52908)

-Judging from the pictures, could my leaks be coming from else where?

-Does the leak have anything to do with the gas gauge dying entirely?

I'm kind of in the dark here. I'm trying to find the cheapest alternative to get this fixed. Can anyone recommend a course of action? So far, car-part.com has some FWD gas tanks available that could be a direct swap (if the tank needs to be replaced). I'm also looking into WRX tanks for an eventual AWD swap in the future. I've found one locally for $100 but I'm wondering how difficult it would be and what sort of instructions I'd need to give my mechanic.

If anyone is local to the North Jersey area and could help me out, I'd really, really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all of your help and I apologize for the double posts. This one is more of a general one whereas my other one is strictly asking about the WRX options.

Regards,

Nick
thenicky0
First Gear

Re: Fuel leak, tank replacement? Other available options...

Post by thenicky0 »

Can anyone help me determine where the leak is coming from?

http://youtu.be/J1mKenCCfoE
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nick,

From the pics and video I'm assuming that is the driver's side of the car. If it is I would guess the leak is probably at the top of the tank. You're going to need a new tank....if you know what to do with the WRX tank and can go that route, that'd probably be the best route.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
thenicky0
First Gear

Post by thenicky0 »

Ok, it's almost go time, I just need some help with the following:

I know #3 obviously goes to the fuel filler neck. I need help regarding which is the other line that goes to the neck. Then I assume the rest of them all have to do with the evap system. This install is unique in that since it's going into a FWD. I'm teeing off the remaining three evap lines into one. Despite the fact that I've studied the diagrams over and over, I can't seem to figure out which is the other line that goes to the neck and which ones I need to tee off. Can anyone help me?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Search for fuel tank in this pdf and it should bring up several spots where it shows how the vent hoses are routed. (start with page 106 of 479)

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... mation.pdf

From what I can see it doesn't look like there is a standard vent hose like on the older cars. Take a look at the diagrams in there and see if the hoses match up. You may have to get creative with how the hoses are routed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm