Seatbelts Bad?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Seatbelts Bad?

Post by originalcyn »

Can anyone else get their seatbelts to lock in the front intentionally by pulling on them quickly? I don't seem to be able to, and I'm wondering if they need to be replaced. I know they CAN lock, because occasionally they lock when they automatic seatbelt buckle tries to retract. Anyways, some input on this would be great. Thanks!
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
mike-tracy

Re: Seatbelts Bad?

Post by mike-tracy »

Sounds like you need to convert to manual ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

If you remove the center consoule were the armrest is you will see the seal belt retension device. there is a ball in there. When you jerk on the belt or when in a situation the ball gets stuck causing the belt to lock. Sometimes you have to do a certain way.
If it doesn't do it all then yea you may need to. I would just take a look at it.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

But i love automatic belts! Though i think i'm the only one honestly.

thanks Tony, i'll give it a go. I mean, i know it locks occasionally, but it's kind of disconcerrting to be worried about whether or not it'll do it in a wreck.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I know from first hand experience that you don't want be left wonder if the lock properly, only to find that they don't in a wreck. Verify and replace (if necessary) fast! I'd give up every safety device on a car to have a properly functioning seat belt.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

originalcyn wrote:But i love automatic belts! Though i think i'm the only one honestly.

thanks Tony, i'll give it a go. I mean, i know it locks occasionally, but it's kind of disconcerrting to be worried about whether or not it'll do it in a wreck.
I've done a lot of upgrades and things have been swapped but I'll never get rid of my auto belts. I love them too.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

FINALLY! GOD! THANK YOU TONY! see everyone? see? i'm not insane for liking the auto seatbelts! There are dozens of us!!! DOZENS!!

Good point to James. hindsight is 20/20, but it's probably best not to get to that point in this situation.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

originalcyn wrote:FINALLY! GOD! THANK YOU TONY! see everyone? see? i'm not insane for liking the auto seatbelts! There are dozens of us!!!
Dozens of insane nut jobs ;)

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

HAHAHA
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I could be mistaken but I believe that ball moves when you slam on the brakes and locks your belt up before your body pulls the belt. I've noticed it lock without my body even moving when I brake.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Im pretty sure it should lock both under heavy decel and if you yank on the belt. But yeah, not a bad idea to test and see if it locks under hard braking.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The auto seat belts don't lock up as easily as the regular belts. But they will lock up under heavy deceleration. Try slamming on the brakes really good from higher speed and see if they lock up; they should.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

Mine will lock up if I'm stopping and looking to the left while merging from an offramp
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!