Are these weight numbers right for a '93 L?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danteandsoob
First Gear

Are these weight numbers right for a '93 L?

Post by Danteandsoob »

So I cleaned my interior and look out the pass. Seat and rear seats and then weighed the car: 2800 lbs !!!! This is with no tool box and no jack or spare. I thought the '93 L's weighed 3100 lbs?
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
mike-tracy

Re: Are these weight numbers right for a '93 L?

Post by mike-tracy »

Measure it! There's this truck weigh station on the way from the pass, that when closed, leaves their scale on. I stopped by with my stock 00 RS, a 1/3rd tank of gas and my 200lbs self, car came in around 3100 lbs.

My guess is Subaru put the vehicle weight for their most stripped out legacy, FWD, 5mt, non abs, etc and absolutely no fluids. The lighter your car supposedly weighs, the less road use tax is, so perhaps Subaru was attempting to help owners down the line. Or maybe tthat's a stretch. ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

Well, when I did the rear seats: about 60 lbs, spare and jack: 35 lbs, and the pass. seat: around 50 lbs.
So this would mean my legacy only weighs less than 3000 lbs.
Huh. Well this is nice to know.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

With full interior, spare/jack, 3/4 tabk of gas and my 165lb self, my TW weighs about 3270 (before I did my engine/trans swap). So about 3105 when the listed weight is 3300. Maybe its he lighter nitrogen in my tires!
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

When they had my ss on the alignment rack at speedware motorsports in redmond they told me it weighed 3,050 lbs.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

kimokalihi wrote:When they had my ss on the alignment rack at speedware motorsports in redmond they told me it weighed 3,050 lbs.
See, that makes more sense to me how I could have dropped 200-300 pounds.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There is curb weight and gross weight. Curb weight is with fluids and standard equipment. Gross weight is the weight of all the fluids and maximum passenger capacity.

Check out my thread here:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18575

The weight in that thread is when my L was recently converted to AWD & 5MT. I haven't reweighed it since doing the turbo swap & 6spd conversion.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

Legacy777 wrote:There is curb weight and gross weight. Curb weight is with no fluids and just the bare car. Gross weight is the weight of all the fluids and maximum passenger capacity.

Check out my thread here:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18575

The weight in that thread is when my L was recently converted to AWD & 5MT. I haven't reweighed it since doing the turbo swap & 6spd conversion.
I actually just stubled across that tread and saw the weights. So the loss of about 200 pounds seems spot on.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I guess I should have mentioned the car isn't stock and has aftermarket wheels and low profile tires. But it gives you a ballpark idea.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Legacy777 wrote:There is curb weight and gross weight. Curb weight is with no fluids and just the bare car. Gross weight is the weight of all the fluids and maximum passenger capacity.
I always thought curb weight was with all the fluids and equipment, and gross weight was the Max operating weight the car was designed for. Unless gross weight and gross vehicle weight rating are two different things. But I'm pretty sure I've seen a dry weight listed in some places in the past that isn't really useful to anyone.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

I'll throw this in too.

My Legacy rally car, with a full rally roll cage, spare tire, jack, impact, and ready to race weighed in at 2903 pounds at 100 Acre Wood in February.

I've started to put the car on a major diet, hoping to shoot under 2750 pounds when done. Rear trunk lid has been gutted to just the sheet metal, held down now with Willard (terry) springs. Trunk weighed 39 pounds, now weighs 9. Rear doors have been partially gutted for the first iteration, lost 18 pounds on each door, hoping for a total of 25-30 pounds each when done. Front beam has been trimmed so that it can still mow down a small tree in case of a light off-road excursion, but dropped 19 pounds off of that. Rear beam was removed, that lost 45 pounds.

I have a few other spots to lose some weight in. But once I do the RobTune, combined with the cars weight, it should be on par with the power-to-weight ratio of a typical Super Production STI.

Exhaust manifold and turbo add 42 pounds alone (I weighed them this weekend) so remember that when comparing an NA car to a turbo car. If you add a TMIC then you are adding another 8-10 pounds.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Don't forget the dohc heads and much larger if you go with those and you have extra coolant and hoses and the coolant tank but I deleted my entire ac and abs so that dropped a few lbs which I regrettably added back in with super heavy 05 wrx seats. And then 05lgt brakes.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

James614 wrote:I always thought curb weight was with all the fluids and equipment, and gross weight was the Max operating weight the car was designed for. Unless gross weight and gross vehicle weight rating are two different things. But I'm pretty sure I've seen a dry weight listed in some places in the past that isn't really useful to anyone.
James,

Just checked and you're correct, curb weight includes all the fluids and standard equipment. I changed my post above to hopefully minimize any future confusion.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm