Seat belt repair?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

woodrat
In Neutral

Seat belt repair?

Post by woodrat »

I've scanned through a lot of threads, and I'm not finding what I'm looking for. If I missed it, forgive me for asking a question that has already been answered.

Is there a thread here with a comprehensive overview of how the automatic seatbelts work, and how to repair them? Or a link to this information somewhere else?

I just bought a 94 Legacy wagon with the driver's belt receptacle jammed up right at the upper corner of the track. The receptacle can move back and forth a couple of inches, but I cannot figure out how to move it the rest of the way, or free it up, or see a cable, or anything like that. I saw a mention in one thread that you can crank the receptacle back into place so it at least locks in and functions properly, but it got too dark tonight for me to see it. I'll look at that in the AM.

Also, does the setup from a 1990 work on this car? I just retired my rusty old 1990 Legacy wagon to parts car status, and if the 1990 track and parts work in this car, that will save me some dough and a trip to the u pull it.

thanks!
1990 Legacy wagon, 340k miles, rusted out and retired to parts car status
1991 Legacy wagon, 232k miles
1994 Legacy wagon, 146k miles
1992 Dodge/Cummins W250 flatbed, 294k miles
1976 Mercedes 240D
1977 Mercedes 240D, 230k miles
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Seat belt repair?

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, the 90 track and parts should work on your 94. I used my 90 parts to fix a buddy's 92 or 93.

There is a small plastic plug/clip on the lower B pillar trim, pull that off and use the allen key that is in the center console lid to try and crank the motor by hand. If it won't move, more than likely the cable is jammed in the track. This is what happened on my buddy's and we were able to push it back in, but it eventually shredded itself and we used the parts out of my 90 to get it working again.

The cable is sheathed black so get a good bright light to see it. You'll need to remove the lower B pillar trim to get at the motor, and if you need to take the track pieces off and/or the cable you'll also need to remove the upper B pillar trim and A pillar trim. Take your time with the trim pieces or they can break. A trim removal tool helps. The top clips on the A pillar trim lift up to unsnap. The others are just spring loaded type clips.

Some of the pictures in my manual seat belt swap may be helpful.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... seatbelts/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
woodrat
In Neutral

Re: Seat belt repair?

Post by woodrat »

Thanks. I tried the allen wrench crank, and couldn't get it to budge. I'll pull the trim and see what I can figure out about the cable.
1990 Legacy wagon, 340k miles, rusted out and retired to parts car status
1991 Legacy wagon, 232k miles
1994 Legacy wagon, 146k miles
1992 Dodge/Cummins W250 flatbed, 294k miles
1976 Mercedes 240D
1977 Mercedes 240D, 230k miles