Hood cowl questions

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speezly
Second Gear

Hood cowl questions

Post by speezly »

Ok, I have a cracked cowl on my 93 legacy. This is the part that the wiper arms sit on top of. I went to a junkyard to attempt to pull one off the ONLY post facelift legacy in VA, and I cracked a bunch of the clip mounts on the cowl.
Does anyone know if the cowls are the same on post and pre facelift legacies? The junkyard has a 90 and the cowl is in good condition. Also any advice on successfully removing one of these bad boys?
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Hood cowl questions

Post by rallyak »

Yes, there the same. I use a interior clip removal tool,is will get under the clip and you can pry up on the clip evenly with out breaking it.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

Thanks. I've been neglecting exterior work for almost a decade now, time to give the leggy a makeover. Anyone know what can be used in place of the Oem rubber stripping where the cowl meets the windshield glass? I bought a couple different types from autozone, but the Oem is cut exactly to keep water and dirt out. Any suggestions or if anyone has the part number on hand that would be helpful. I went through the cowl diagrams on dealership websites, but I can't tell which one it is.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I am pretty sure that rubber piece between the cowl and windshield is part of the cowl. You would need to replace the cowl to replace that rubber piece.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

Well all the cowls in Virginia at junkyards have rotting or cracked rubber. Paying for one from the dealership is out of the question, I think they are like 180. I'm going to attempt to heat some rubber strips with a heat gun and get it to "form" to the cowl, my only other option is to clean up the least dry rotted one I have laying around, I'm just hoping there would be a better option. Trim can be quite the headache. Almost everything is cracking when I attempt to remove it. I'll take some pics of I get a chance.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, unfortunately due to the age of these cars the rubber pieces are at that age of not being in the best of shape.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm