Fuel smell in the cabin

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ej22tfun
In Neutral

Fuel smell in the cabin

Post by Ej22tfun »

So i recently put a walbro255 in my 1991 legacy and the main fuel line going into the tank lookied a little rough. I was hoping it would be fine but sure enough no my entire cabin smells like gas along with my house...what all has to be done to replace the fuel lines going into the tank.
P.s the bolts for that cap that goes on the fuel tank had 3-4 sheard studs would that cuase the the smell also?
2003 wrx wagon (stock),1992 subaru legacy SS, built 1991 subaru legacy SS
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Fuel smell in the cabin

Post by SILINC3R »

Yes, just removing and installing the pump will give you a gas smell for a little bit to it all evaps. Also sounds like there is no longer a good seal that is more than likely your source of the smell
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

Ej22tfun wrote:So i recently put a walbro255 in my 1991 legacy and the main fuel line going into the tank lookied a little rough. I was hoping it would be fine but sure enough no my entire cabin smells like gas along with my house...what all has to be done to replace the fuel lines going into the tank.
P.s the bolts for that cap that goes on the fuel tank had 3-4 sheard studs would that cuase the the smell also?
I am in the same postition as you and have been wondering the same thing.. two of my studs sheared off, next time ill use a torque wrench lol. I thought a solution to this might be putting some silicone around the seal to the fuel pump assembly but after talking it over with a knowledgable mechanic i work with it might not be the best solution to this problem. This is due to the fact there's that slight chance the silicone could kind of become brittle and *maybe* find its way into the tank/pump/fuel line and you'd be hosed. If anyone has any solutions please chime in. Sorry for the hijacking haha
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

nortonjefferson wrote:
Ej22tfun wrote:So i recently put a walbro255 in my 1991 legacy and the main fuel line going into the tank lookied a little rough. I was hoping it would be fine but sure enough no my entire cabin smells like gas along with my house...what all has to be done to replace the fuel lines going into the tank.
I am in the same postition as you and have been wondering the same thing.. two of my studs sheared off, next time ill use a torque wrench lol. I thought a solution to this might be putting some silicone around the seal to the fuel pump assembly but after talking it over with a knowledgable mechanic i work with it might not be the best solution to this problem. This is due to the fact there's that slight chance the silicone could kind of become brittle and *maybe* find its way into the tank/pump/fuel line and you'd be hosed. If anyone has any solutions please chime in. Sorry for the hijacking haha

If you find a silicone rated for fuel, which are there are, you would be good. Also, if it fell in the tank, there is a filter on the pump remember.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Ej22tfun
In Neutral

Post by Ej22tfun »

SILINC3R wrote:Yes, just removing and installing the pump will give you a gas smell for a little bit to it all evaps. Also sounds like there is no longer a good seal that is more than likely your source of the smell
alright i wasnt sure if thats all it was becuase the smell was so strong it made my entire house reak of gas
2003 wrx wagon (stock),1992 subaru legacy SS, built 1991 subaru legacy SS
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

When the car is running is there a leak underneath the car?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP