Dashboard Removal?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Arbiter
First Gear

Dashboard Removal?

Post by Arbiter »

Hey folks,
Back with another question, still kind of new to this so sorry for all of my questions!

I've looked about through the BBS forum, various social media groups and other forums but I can't find any information.

So I got the dash pretty much out, but it seems like its getting caught up somewhere, particularly on the left side of the dash where a bunch of wires are sitting behind the dash. It get stucks after sliding the dash about 2 - 2 1/2" backwards. Any hidden spots I might be missing? I got the 3 bolts on top by the window, and nearly every other bolt I could find along the sides and inside any "hidden" compartments. The AC is stubborn right now, working on getting it off.

From what I was told, the steering wheel does not need to come off (Stuck right now either way, need to get a puller).

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: There were two 12mm bolts underneath the dash on the steering column, connecting the two pieces. The dash was basically floating afterwards. Gonna clean up the interior a bit before proceeding.

Thanks!
allnines'
Second Gear

Re: Dashboard Removal?

Post by allnines' »

I took the dash out of '92-in there really well! I couldn't pull it out until I forced the steering column down-no puller available no air bag ether. Did you disconnect the entire harness and pull it away? I found it can hang up the removal.
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!
Arbiter
First Gear

Re: Dashboard Removal?

Post by Arbiter »

allnines' wrote:I took the dash out of '92-in there really well! I couldn't pull it out until I forced the steering column down-no puller available no air bag ether. Did you disconnect the entire harness and pull it away? I found it can hang up the removal.
I had to force the steering column down as well, it was the windshield wiper stick that was getting in the way I believe, or whatever stick is on the left side of the column. The steering wheel didn't really give me any issues, I slide it towards the right side of the car and out the door when everything was ready to be pulled. As for the harness, if you're referring to the wiring behind the dash, basically I disconnected every connector that needed to be disconnected to remove the dash. There were about 5 connectors on the drivers side to the left of the steering column. I had to unbolt a black metallic piece which, IIRC, was bolted to the dash which had 3 different connectors attached to it to remove it easier. The last thing I had to disconnect were two restraining wires on both sides of the dash located underneath the AC location ish. I'll be posting up a write up on everything I do to this car eventually.

Or, if you're referring to the airbag wiring, I kept that in... except for the airbag as well. There's a cutout in the dash to allow it to slide over the SRS control module underneath the console for 93 and up models, or models equipped with airbags.