Need tips on Legacy rust repair

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mpgingerson
First Gear

Need tips on Legacy rust repair

Post by Mpgingerson »

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to fabricate new metal at the spot in the wheel well, because I have a small hole in the wheel well on the small shelf thing that leads to the channels of the car..

There is not a hole in the picture, but there is a hole there now, but only a small one

And do you reckon this is saveable? :O
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Need tips on Legacy rust repair

Post by rallyak »

First, how long are you going to keep the car? The best thing is to cut the rust out and section a clean piece in. You can get do good by sand blasting or acid bath the area, using epoxy primer to seal it up. Then use marine-tec to fill the hole witch is an epoxy. So what I'm saying is clean the rust completely and epoxy it to seal it up.
On my car I also used lots of expired windshield urethane to glue 1/4 inch rubber on the impact areas in the wheel well and to keep any water from ever getting back to metel.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Mpgingerson
First Gear

Re: Need tips on Legacy rust repair

Post by Mpgingerson »

rallyak wrote:First, how long are you going to keep the car? The best thing is to cut the rust out and section a clean piece in. You can get do good by sand blasting or acid bath the area, using epoxy primer to seal it up. Then use marine-tec to fill the hole witch is an epoxy. So what I'm saying is clean the rust completely and epoxy it to seal it up.
On my car I also used lots of expired windshield urethane to glue 1/4 inch rubber on the impact areas in the wheel well and to keep any water from ever getting back to metel.
I want to keep the car for a long time, but not forever as that's most likely impossible. Anyhow I'm going to get a mechanic friend of mine to cut out pieces and maybe weld in new ones or cut from a donor car... But the epoxy and sandblasting I will do myself in small places that don't have rust all the way through..

I'm saving up for a cheap daily drive car so I can put this car aside and start tearing everything off and see what's been hiding underneath the mats, bumper, etc.. Are there any more areas rust is hiding on these cars? I know in the trunk in the old seam welds they rust fast, and I think mine has.. But I think it's not bad enough so that I have to cut it out, I think it's "sandblastable " haha.