automatic seat belts disabled?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

showlynjoe
In Neutral

automatic seat belts disabled?

Post by showlynjoe »

i have a potentially life depending question.... first the story.

my driver seatbelt stopped working a while ago. it had a mind of its own: would not move at all when door closed, go halfway then back again..... so i turned the allen till it was in the closed position and unpluged the connection at the seatblet motor, problem solved. fast forward a few years of flashing seatblent in dash and i started getting a ticking sound from the trunk?? there is a green computer box, driver side forward of jack behind trim piece just ticking LOUD even when car is off. so i unpluged it. no more flashing light.

my question: will my seatbelts engage in a collision? if a yank a couple times on them fast like three times it will lock up.

Will someone let me know if this is a really bad idea and why.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: automatic seat belts disabled?

Post by Alphius »

They will still work properly in an accident. The seatbelt computer and power system only controls the power sliding of the chest belt when the door is opened and closed. It does not effect the locking or tensioning in an accident.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: automatic seat belts disabled?

Post by Legacy777 »

The seat belt computer also controls the key chime, so you may want to be a little more aware to not lock your keys in the car :)

Other than that you'll be good.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm