Hood release cable

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

arse_sidewards
First Gear

Hood release cable

Post by arse_sidewards »

'93 legacy, rockauto, amazon, ebay autozone, napa, etc all came up empty when I searched for a hood release cable (not exactly unexpected).

Anyone know if I can use the release cable from something else? It looks like there's a handful of vehicles with cables that are very similar visually. Should I just order an '00-'04 cable and take my chances? I could make brackets and all the other stuff to use hood pins and ditch the cable entirely but that would be just as much work and likely cost more than replacing the cable (on the other hand, pins don't seize up like cables do)

Unfortunately junkyard is not a good option. If this one that gets used at least weekly seized up from rust then a junkyard one would just be on borrowed time already.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hood release cable

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd recommend posting a WTB in the parts shed as there are plenty of folks that have beaters/spares sitting around. I think I may have one in the turbo wiring harness I have stashed in the garage if all else fails.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Legacy777 wrote:I'd recommend posting a WTB in the parts shed as there are plenty of folks that have beaters/spares sitting around. I think I may have one in the turbo wiring harness I have stashed in the garage if all else fails.

How big of a PITA is it to change cables? I haven't gotten around to practicing at the junkyard yet.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You gotta take the fender off and snake it through a bunch of stuff. It's not the end of the world though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.