Help on 1st gen front crossmember specs.

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Help on 1st gen front crossmember specs.

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Asking if anyone has a 1st gen front crossmember laying around that you would be willing to pull some measurements off of...shouldn't matter between the turbo and n/a as they should spec the same besides the up pipe divit. I have a crossmember that was pulled from a wrecked 91 turbo (hit hard passenger side front) that I want to prep and have powdercoated to replace my current (slightly rusted) one...but I want to know if it's out of spec and even worth my time as it appears slightly splayed inward on the p. side.

Here are the measurements I pulled today, starting from the front most (in-line with the motor mount holes) stud plate mount holes. Measurements were taken from bolt holes center point to center point across the crossmember.

Front bolt holes - 33-3/4 inches / 856mm
Middle bolt holes - 33-1/4 inches / 845mm
Rear bolt holes - 32-7/8 inches / 833mm

As you can see, it's splayed and from what I think or imagine, the front frame rails on our cars should be parallel.

Thanks for the help!
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help on 1st gen front crossmember specs.

Post by Legacy777 »

The front bolt holes seem to match the closest the information from the datum information. Hopefully someone can take some measurements for you, but also check out page 49 of 206 of the section 5 factory manual. This is for the Liberty, but the dimensions will be the same for the Legacy.

https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... SM_-_FULL/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Re: Help on 1st gen front crossmember specs.

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Man, if it only had the rear dimension I would be good but the diagram at least highlights that the frame rails are tapered. Still 4 mils under the datum but both sets of outer bolt holes are elongated slightly for mfg differences. Just want to make sure it's good before I sink any $ into it. Thanks for the lead.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe